Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
By the way, I forgot to mention this is a "scenic shot" for those of you w/ delayed shutter release or whatever.....he just scrolled the phone like he was scanning the air and it captures the pic over a period of a few seconds. I liked it. Click on the pic to see what I mean if you don't already
untitled (11).png

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I am actually going to try catching some (introduced) bluegill to fish for sharptooth catfish this weekend. Are live worms on float or spinners better for bluegill.

And cutting them up if they are big will make good smelly bait right?
Live worms, definitely.....start w/ pieces and try bigger and bigger pieces if you want bigger baitfish. Use a tiny little hook between #8 and #16 (I use #12 or #14) Over here, for Flatheads I find 3-4" is perfect, but I know many people who have caught lunkers on 6-8" Sunfish as well. Smaller more streamlined baitfish produce other species as well.

I would get a battery-powered aerator for your baitbucket and do WCs in it while you are fishing every hour or less, depending on the amount of baitfish in the bucket. I use a 4 gallon bucket - same diameter and circumference as a standard 5g, but a little shorter.

I got a little cheap aerator for trout minnows for about $7 that take 2 AA-size batteries, but my best friend got the econo-sized that takes two D-size batteries and it's WAY more powerful and lasts WAY longer than mine.,

You can actually use them to power a sponge or box filter and just swap the hoses for you electric-powered air pumps when you are home and swap them back when you go fishing, and use a 5g bucket permanently as long as you keep doing WCs, everyday if need be.

It's probably less stressful o the baitfish than getting netted out of my live-well, into a bucket, then into the Flow-troll, into the stream/river/lake, then all over again when we leave.

Last edited:

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Let me drop a pin on those coordinates, next time I'm in Pennsylvania I wana do some fishing....But serious looks pretty fishy....Hook em' up

By the way, I forgot to mention this is a "scenic shot" for those of you w/ delayed shutter release or whatever.....he just scrolled the phone like he was scanning the air and it captures the pic over a period of a few seconds. I liked it. Click on the pic to see what I mean if you don't already
View attachment 1203456

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Let me drop a pin on those coordinates, next time I'm in Pennsylvania I wana do some fishing....But serious looks pretty fishy....Hook em' up
"Next time"? I have to kind of take this as a joke.....you DO understand a guy from one of the best fishing regions of the world wanting to leave paradise to fish in PA sounds a bit backwards lol I guess it must feel similar to me wanting to catch a Trevally or eat Hawaiian Bonefish dishes

If Flatheads interest you that much, I would be more than happy to get your hooks set into some of them. Plan a trip and i'll show you the ropes....i'll introduce you to the entire crew.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I was kidding and not likely to be in that area but would down to do some fishing there if I were, that'd be cool. Only channel cats out here

ECW

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2011
Oahu, Hi.
Got a couple Samoan crabs (mud crabs) with a couple of the oio (bonefish) and papio carcases that were left over after filet. The smaller one had both claws initially but the larger one decided to free him of his arm. I found it in the trap and cooked it that night. Delish...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Reactions: ECW
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com