Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I was out earlier today and saw a hat in the water maybe 1/2 mile out. Picked it up out of the water so its not a hazard to navigation and tossed it on the deck and 15 little 1/4in pilot fish and ten 1/2in sargassum frogfish flopped off. They were so tiny I had to put them in a plastic bottle to ID before tossing them back.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Should be good now.
Dude, is that a trout or a salmon????

I was out earlier today and saw a hat in the water maybe 1/2 mile out. Picked it up out of the water so its not a hazard to navigation and tossed it on the deck and 15 little 1/4in pilot fish and ten 1/2in sargassum frogfish flopped off. They were so tiny I had to put them in a plastic bottle to ID before tossing them back.
From a HAT????

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Dude, is that a trout or a salmon????

From a HAT????
Yeah, its suprising how much life can be attached to floaters. I've found floating cargo nets with several hundred little frogfish attached, always feel bad removing the nets.....They eventually end up running aground and creating reef damaging not to mention the hazard to navigation.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
size and species?? some detail perhaps? what u catch it on? where? these are things we need to know :p
Yeah, its suprising how much life can be attached to floaters. I've found floating cargo nets with several hundred little frogfish attached, always feel bad removing the nets.....They eventually end up running aground and creating reef damaging not to mention the hazard to navigation.
why not just put the whole thing into a little SW-pond or a horse-trough of Sea water? why is a hat and a piece of cargo net a hazard for navigation?? u mean it gets tangled in props or rudders or it's just so huge people in ocean liners can't see over it or around it? :p

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
They are actually pretty specialized animals not sure if they would live in a lagoon being pelagic once they blow in, its not looking good. If you throw them back in water they immediately try to attach to vessel. I've even put them(the frogfish) in a bottle and free dove down 15 ft to coral reef area and released 15-20 and they still swim immediately to surface, this was a couple years ago

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
size and species?? some detail perhaps? what u catch it on? where? these are things we need to know
Smaller Standard old chinook salmon on a spawn sack in mishicot Wisconsin.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
They are actually pretty specialized animals not sure if they would live in a lagoon being pelagic once they blow in, its not looking good. If you throw them back in water they immediately try to attach to vessel. I've even put them(the frogfish) in a bottle and free dove down 15 ft to coral reef area and released 15-20 and they still swim immediately to surface, this was a couple years ago
you can free-dive 15 feet down? Don't your ears pop and bleed? When I get past the 12' mark or so, my ear drums just go crazy

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Yep, you need equalize the pressure in your ears as you go down, a technique called the valsalva maneuver.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store