divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
those are amazing fish, Sean......I would love to catch a trout like that someday.....don't you eat trout at all??
Thanks Frank! This was my first time fishing NY Ontario tribs and I was pretty impressed. Beautiful creeks with not nearly as many guys as PA Erie creeks and of course those pig Browns. I went 4/5 on this trip and my dad 1/3. All fish we landed were hens and the three largest ones (my 12# and 14# and my dad's 10#) were all wild (no fin clips or nubs).

And I'm just not a fan of the taste of Trout, I'd much rather watch these fish swim away and create the next generation, especially since these fish were all prespawn and probably are either on their redds now or have already spawned.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Thanks Frank! This was my first time fishing NY Ontario tribs and I was pretty impressed. Beautiful creeks with not nearly as many guys as PA Erie creeks and of course those pig Browns. I went 4/5 on this trip and my dad 1/3. All fish we landed were hens and the three largest ones (my 12# and 14# and my dad's 10#) were all wild (no fin clips or nubs).

And I'm just not a fan of the taste of Trout, I'd much rather watch these fish swim away and create the next generation, especially since these fish were all prespawn and probably are either on their redds now or have already spawned.
Do they run/spawn w/ the Salmon and Steelheads?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Do they run/spawn w/ the Salmon and Steelheads?
Varies by the lake but Browns usually start running late September and stay until March-April. Chinooks are best mid Sept-late Oct and Steelhead are best mid Dec-late April. The largest concentrations and best time to catch Browns though is late October through mid December. Average about 4-8 pounds, we just got lucky and hammered some beasts, thankfully, made the five hour drive all the more worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store