Flathead and Blue Catfish growth rates???

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
necrocanis;1691280; said:
Hmm, would be better if you could bump up the size of it a little. You'd be suprised at how small 1000 gals actually is. If you can go 5 to ten times that size I'd see it working much better. If you had a natural stream and could get permission to dam it to make your pond you'd be better off, but it sounds like you are trying to make kinda a koi style pond so that you can see your fish? If you dam a stream it will usually be so muddy you'll never see the fish til you catch them. If you are only planning to keep very few flatheads channels, blues and flatheads then you'll be fine with 1000 gals. I'd only keep one blue, one flathead, 2-3 channels, and maybe 6 lmb. The rest can be your food stock. If you are able to get the real deal blue cats and not just normal colored channels than I will definitely try to get one. Been looking for a flathead and blue for a while. They don't exist in montana. We only have channels, yellow bullheads, and stonecats. I can get any of those if you'd want them for your collection. Baby flathead would be cool, but only person I know who gets them small is oddball. He can get both blues and flats, but havent heard from him in a while. Supposed to get some this season from him.

I use a small bait trap (which is legal at a small farm pond I go to) to catch small channels and blue cats. In 2 years of using a bait trap at this specific pond;) I have caught only 1 flathead, and he was at 5 inches. I know they are in there, now I just have to catch them:)

Yes, I am looking at a koi type indoor pond, with a possible viewing window. I will be using a pond liner or epoxy and cinderblocks.

What would you think about 1 flathead, 2 blue cats, 3 channel cats, and 3 LMB with a limited prey stock?? I will be turning over almost 3800 gph in a 1000 gallon pond.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
silentmajority;1690581; said:
This is a general-type chart I stole from a book I have:

Age Length Inches(North)/ Length Inches(South)

1 7.5 / --
2 10.9 / 16.3
3 14.8 / 24.3
5 19.3 / 27.7
7 23.9 / 34.7
9 28.0 / 36.3
11 35.5 / 40.4
13 37.0 / 44.2
15 40.00 / 46.3

The data varies depending on climate, food supply, and genetic stock. I know they have a major growth spurt between 3-8 years old, where they can put up to 10lbs of weight on per year. I landed a 50 and 1/2 inch flathead last year here in AZ, and I doubt he was more than 15 years old though.
Thanks, that sounds about right.

That is a nice first post if you ask me.:)

:welcome:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store