Jun 12, 2006
DC-MD-VA
http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/2016/april/01/nonnative-catch/

Catch nonnative freshwater fish, get the chance to win prizes
News Release

Friday, April 01, 2016

Media contact: Carli Segelson, 772-215-9459; Lisa Thompson, 727-896-8626

Photos available on FWC Flickr site. Go to: https://flic.kr/s/aHsk2BPUdV

Want the opportunity to win prizes while helping to document and remove nonnative freshwater fish from Florida’s waters? Consider participating in the second statewide Nonnative Fish Catch, Click and Report Contest, coordinated by the Florida Fish And Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) and partners. The 2016 contest kicks off at 6 a.m. on April 1 and runs until midnight on April 30.

Participating is easy — anglers simply take a photo, enter detailed catch location or GPS coordinates, and report nonnative freshwater fish catches to IveGot1.org during the contest sample period. Catches can also be reported by downloading the IveGot1 app, by calling 888-IVE-GOT1 (888-483-4681), or by posting photos and catch data to your Instagram acount.

“Florida is home to at least 34 species of reproducing exotic fish and new species continue to be found, which can impact native fish communities,” said FWC biologist Kelly Gestring. “By removing and reporting nonnative fish, anglers help manage populations of exotic species and help conserve our state’s precious natural resources.”

The contest is part of a continuing effort to raise awareness of nonnative fish species and encourage anglers to target nonnative fish for consumption by the FWC and partners, including the U.S. Geological Survey, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, National Park Service, Florida Invasive Species Partnership, University of Georgia and Everglades Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area. Partners plan to hold the event annually with the help of anglers acting as citizen scientists.

The Nonnative Fish Catch, Click and Report Contest is open to all licensed or legally exempt anglers in Florida. There is no entry fee and prizes will be awarded. Entries can be submitted throughout the contest period and final submissions must be made by midnight on Saturday, April 30. For more information on the contest rules, regulations and prizes, go to FloridaInvasives.org/CatchClickReport. To register and start submitting reports visit IveGot1.org or download the free reporting app for your smartphone by searching for IveGot1 in the app store. You can also report your catch by posting your photos and catch data to your Instagram account – be sure to tag #ivegot1. You may also enter by calling the Exotic Species Hotline at 888-IVE-GOT1 (888-483-4681) and informing the operator that you are participating in the contest.

More information on nonnative freshwater fish and other exotic species can be found at My.FWC.com/nonnatives.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
This might sound unusual but I wish we had non native species in Chicago. The feeling of catching a Midas or a dovii or even a damn Oscar would be an awesome thing. I would never have to go to any vendor pretty much wild caught haha

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This might sound unusual but I wish we had non native species in Chicago. The feeling of catching a Midas or a dovii or even a damn Oscar would be an awesome thing. I would never have to go to any vendor pretty much wild caught haha
You do. In Lake Michigan there's Alewives, Rainbow Smelt, Sea Lamprey, Brown Trout, Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon, Steelhead, even the occasional Pink Salmon; all non-native. Never ask for more non-natives, they only cause trouble where they are. In Florida invasive Cichlids can easily destroy native populations of Sunfish like Warmouth.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
You do. In Lake Michigan there's Alewives, Rainbow Smelt, Sea Lamprey, Brown Trout, Chinook Salmon, Coho Salmon, Steelhead, even the occasional Pink Salmon; all non-native. Never ask for more non-natives, they only cause trouble where they are. In Florida invasive Cichlids can easily destroy native populations of Sunfish like Warmouth.
Oh I already know those species exist in those waters. Where I was trying to get is central american cichlids mainly since I love those. Yeah I know better safe than sorry. There was this guy from youtube who went fishing in Florida caught himself like 20 Red devil/Midas species and brought them back home which was like 10 hours away.

I really don't wish we had central american in our rivers and lakes but its something that If they're there I would be fishing a lot more and going to LFS a lot less.

Reactions: Frank Castle

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
...or you can just move to Florida ;) Ihsnshaik Ihsnshaik

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
...or you can just move to Florida ;) Ihsnshaik Ihsnshaik
I love Florida but I love Chicago more though. Maybe I'll retire there haha I might be going there on vacation soon though I wold love to get out of Chicagos weather right now.
It's still snowing here in Chicago. Supposed to snow more this week as well...

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Oh I already know those species exist in those waters. Where I was trying to get is central american cichlids mainly since I love those. Yeah I know better safe than sorry. There was this guy from youtube who went fishing in Florida caught himself like 20 Red devil/Midas species and brought them back home which was like 10 hours away.

I really don't wish we had central american in our rivers and lakes but its something that If they're there I would be fishing a lot more and going to LFS a lot less.
Yeah I get that sometimes. I'd love to fish for Marmorata and Taimen some day, I just fear what would happen if they ever found their way here. Maybe you could start a roughfishing guide/vacation service in South America for guys up here, I'd go on a trip like that to catch all those hundreds of species of catfish they have down there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store