FLOWER RAY KEEPERS----Flower ray issues (recently)

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
My 2 flowers I got ate the day I got them... Ate all the way up to the day they died. They were doing great for a week and a half, went downstairs, fed them shrimp and night crawlers, went down to see them while doing work on the pond about 3hrs later, and 1 was dead. Next day the other flower died. Sucks very much

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I watched your video.im sorry to say this but my tiger did the same thing before it died. It was a year in captivity also and died healthy.i did document it and the behaviors on video but it's saved on my laptop which is getting repaired.i will post it ASAP.my tiger started the shakes or twitching yours is doing and died fat and healthy about a week later.it was due to stress I think from my flower always attacking it during feedings.

Is your flower getting picked on? Ppl don't realize that flower/tigers do not handle any sort of harassment easy like other more common kept species.they are fragile in that sense.my flower is in perfect condition right now so I would definately rule out seasonal change. But I would not rule out that something has changed inside your tank? Basic things trigger this in fragile species.my flower is 2 years captive now.after I lost my tiger healthy I've run a straight reverse osmosis drip in that tank with great results.ive even seen breeding behavior out of my male.

I would recommend keeping things stable ,this is key to keeping the fragile species of rays. Try a divider if possible and do it in a manor it will not stress the ray at all. I'm glad you got through it last year ,it's probably due to the fact you'rs is so long term captive now it's toughened up.

Does it still eat?

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The company I work for is the largest water consumer in my area. I sent emails to my contacts for municipal water asking the question of do they see any strange spikes in our water stream during this time of year. One of my contacts is an environmental expert. Early spring the ground gets flooded with fertilizers, pesticides, and pollen. Couple this with dry ground coming out of winter and lots of spring rain this could change the conductivity, pH, even the nitrate levels. I will post what they reply.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
The video I posted was from last year. Just showing what he has been thru.
No change in system. Nitrate is low 25-35ppm
I drip pretty heavy.
He died almost immediately after I moved him to another tank to help reduce stress from more active rays. I never saw them pick on him and he was by far biggest ray in tank. But he was in tank with blacks and they are more hyper.

I just thought it was coicidence that mine acted up same time of year this year as last year, and two other people in the US that had long time captive flowers also died within same week as mine.

And yes my water is hard. I have well water, so there is no risk of chlorine either.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I watched your video.im sorry to say this but my tiger did the same thing before it died. It was a year in captivity also and died healthy.i did document it and the behaviors on video but it's saved on my laptop which is getting repaired.i will post it ASAP.my tiger started the shakes or twitching yours is doing and died fat and healthy about a week later.it was due to stress I think from my flower always attacking it during feedings.

Is your flower getting picked on? Ppl don't realize that flower/tigers do not handle any sort of harassment easy like other more common kept species.they are fragile in that sense.my flower is in perfect condition right now so I would definately rule out seasonal change. But I would not rule out that something has changed inside your tank? Basic things trigger this in fragile species.my flower is 2 years captive now.after I lost my tiger healthy I've run a straight reverse osmosis drip in that tank with great results.ive even seen breeding behavior out of my male.

I would recommend keeping things stable ,this is key to keeping the fragile species of rays. Try a divider if possible and do it in a manor it will not stress the ray at all. I'm glad you got through it last year ,it's probably due to the fact you'rs is so long term captive now it's toughened up.

Does it still eat?
I agree with all of this but something seasonal could affect them if they are stressed whether from a move or being picked on by another ray. All the deaths mentioned happened in tanks where all other rays remained perfectly fine. There was a bacterial outbreak that happened a couple of years ago and it seemed to only be affecting marbles. Can't say that anything can be connected in these cases but it is just odd to have 4 flowers die that have been captive over 2 years especially with them being in 3 different states within a week of each other. Another interesting thing is all 4 of these flowers were imported around the same time with 3 coming from one vendor and 1 from another.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
I agree with all of this but something seasonal could affect them if they are stressed whether from a move or being picked on by another ray. All the deaths mentioned happened in tanks where all other rays remained perfectly fine. There was a bacterial outbreak that happened a couple of years ago and it seemed to only be affecting marbles. Can't say that anything can be connected in these cases but it is just odd to have 4 flowers die that have been captive over 2 years especially with them being in 3 different states within a week of each other. Another interesting thing is all 4 of these flowers were imported around the same time with 3 coming from one vendor and 1 from another.
That is exactly my point also.

Maybe it just was coincidence, but seems strange

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Flowers and tigers almost all die in captivity it's nothing new. They are difficult to keep 4 rays is not enough coincidences ?? I don't know what to say.a guy here brought in a bunch 4-5 and they all died ?

I've heard story's from older guys who have brought in countless numbers of them and had terrible mortality rates.

I also think the coincidences ( the 4 that just died) has to do with the fact they were all long term captive in hard water! Maybe they all don't do well on hard water? Life expectancy is shorter because required conditions are not being provided? Not saying you guys don't do a good job! It might just be the nature of the beast.

Is it a coincidence that the only people that have bred these species have only done so in softer water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store