Flowerhorn and salvini breeding

bull230k

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
New Orleans
hi everyone I am new here! I have a male flowerhorn and female salvini that seemed to be breeding. The female salvini disappeared for a few days into this cave and I noticed also my male flowerhorn developed more vertical stripes. Both of these fish chased away all my other fish.

I was wondering what my salvini was doing in the cave for all eternity so I shined a flashlight in there and saw hundreds of eggs most of which were yellowish brown and some white. I've never bred fish before and this was just purely nature taking its course. I checked on the eggs daily by peaking with the flashlight.

Today is the 4th day since I noticed the eggs, but now most of the eggs are gone and the ones that are left are white. I thought I saw a few eggs that had a tail sticking out of them yesterday but they are no where to be seen.

Also the flowerhorn and salvini are now venturing out of the cave more frequently not keeping watch of the cave. Are these bad eggs and have the wigglers died?? Neither the mom or dad is guarding the cave very much now. I put in a divider to prevent my jack dempsey, midas, and jaguar from possibly eating the eggs. The tank is 100 g.

If the eggs are gone should I have done anything differently like take them out right away and put them in another tank with the same water? Did I spook them by putting in the divider and shining a flashlight in there? I left them in because I was not sure if the eggs were fertilized and plus I have no idea about caring for cichlid eggs/fry.

How likely are they going to produce more eggs? Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
Cichlids are prolific breeders....If they have bred, they will breed again....Brown colored eggs are fertilized eggs....White, sometimes cloudy-fuzzy eggs are infertile.....Post pix....When you want to go deeper into breeding, you will know.....First, go out and purchase a 30-55g tank($40-100)....Get a sponge filter that includes air pump and sponge($10-45)....Get a heater($10-20).....Both equipments will have to be rated for the tank size bought(duh).....Put all this stuff together at home....When you see eggs again, take the cave out and place in the new tank.....The eggs will hatch wihtin 2-3 days....The fry will eat off their egg sak for the next 24 hours....When the fry are 5-7 days old(after hatching), they will be able to eat BBS(baby brine shrimp)....Better known as sea monkies(ha ha).....Feed once in the morning and once before bed time.....The fry will become fish within anohter week or two....It is all up hill from hill...Start feeding the baby fish crushed flake or baby pelllets(crushed).....

bull230k

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
New Orleans
Thanks for the tips man!

importracer;3224656; said:
Cichlids are prolific breeders....If they have bred, they will breed again....Brown colored eggs are fertilized eggs....White, sometimes cloudy-fuzzy eggs are infertile.....Post pix....When you want to go deeper into breeding, you will know.....First, go out and purchase a 30-55g tank($40-100)....Get a sponge filter that includes air pump and sponge($10-45)....Get a heater($10-20).....Both equipments will have to be rated for the tank size bought(duh).....Put all this stuff together at home....When you see eggs again, take the cave out and place in the new tank.....The eggs will hatch wihtin 2-3 days....The fry will eat off their egg sak for the next 24 hours....When the fry are 5-7 days old(after hatching), they will be able to eat BBS(baby brine shrimp)....Better known as sea monkies(ha ha).....Feed once in the morning and once before bed time.....The fry will become fish within anohter week or two....It is all up hill from hill...Start feeding the baby fish crushed flake or baby pelllets(crushed).....

loureyes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
angryinsect;3223125; said:
eggs probably weren't fertile as male flowerhorns generally aren't fertile
I find the above to be false both of the male flowerhorn males I have are making babies left and right. I do know that male parrot cichlids are in fact infertile. I wanna see pics of the progress one of my males are with a Midas and the other is with a parrot the salvini would be cool too with that flowerline and orange belly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store