Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Flowerhorn raising fry in community 180

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Anythingfish, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Anythingfish

Anythingfish MFK Members

Sep 23, 2010
      These fish were given to me buy 2 individuals who labeled them too aggressive. Further the big male was represented as sterile. The smaller female Red Devil took up with the big Flowerhorn (Midas?) male and they setup housekeeping in the large ceramic pot. The first batch of eggs laid in nice evenly spaced parallel rows turned white in a day or so and were covered with fungus almost at once. The male Flowerhorn never entered the pot while the eggs were being laid; was the male sterile or just inattentive? The second batch yielded about 200 wigglers which both parents kept clean and well protected. I used an airline siphon to remove them from the back of the pot. They are the larger fish in the 120 gallon aquarium; the second photo showing 200 fry mixed in with about 300 others, younger by 30 days. When I went after the 3rd batch of wigglers, the Flowerhorn bit me. When I return to get the wigglers after cleaning up the wound, the wiggler fry had vanished. Did the parents eat their offspring to save them? Several days later both parents were digging up mouthfuls of sand and spitting it out in the pot. Mixed in with the sand were about 200 fry which were starting to swim. I Left them in the community 180 just to see how long they would last. Now 30 days later they are doing fine. The other fish have been driven away from the Flowerhorn end of the tank including the African Lungfish. The fry somehow have learned just how far they can travel away from their end of the tank and venture no further. They are eating very well and are about as large as the prior batch of fry which are 30 days older.

How long will it take for the fry to get some red color? Am I obligated to give the original owners of the fish pick of the litter? Will any of these fish become as spectacular as the parents? What is a Flowerhorn anyway and are these fry true Flowerhorn or something else?

[​IMG] Sorry, I will get the photos up shortly.

[​IMG] Sorry, I will get the photos up shortly.

This is a link to my fish collection: http://anythingfish.com/images/Ted/PhotoGallery/TedsMasterIndex.htm

2. MossOnGrass

MossOnGrass MFK Members

Jul 14, 2007
      they wont turn red for quite a while , I have a nice male and it took 3 months before he started showing off

3. Anythingfish

Anythingfish MFK Members

Sep 23, 2010
    4. BIG REDD

BIG REDD MFK Members

May 13, 2006
      nice fish. Are you selling and willing to ship?

5. Anythingfish

Anythingfish MFK Members

Sep 23, 2010
      The fish are doing well however no color showing as yet. I have been thinking about shipping a half dozen 3/4" to 1" fish in a bag in the mail, Priority Mail 2 day delivery. I am located in Washington State and would like to try some experimental shipments to distant states at no charge to members who will report back on the fish condition and how they fair over time.

I kept a dozen or so 1/2" fry in a small 1 pint bag sealed up for 30 days with no food and no water changes. They are doing fine now in a 2 quart jar with occasional food and 25% water changes weekly. They are growing some although they are less than 1/2 the size of the other fry from the same batch.

If you will raise them in 1 gallon or larger container and want to play around with some fish send me a private message through monsterfishkeepers.com

My Web Site: http:www.anythingfish.com

6. Waldo

Waldo MFK Members

Aug 27, 2010
      When I was in GZ China, I had the opportunity to talk with a farmer of discus/FH he said he wouldn't start culling (outside of belly bouncers and runts) until about the 3 month. 2 month should the the first chance to see who they're going to take after. Nice job btw, I think you have yourself a good source of income if you treat it right and don't get greedy. :cheers:

7. SKYLINE_WJ

SKYLINE_WJ MFK Members

Jun 11, 2006
      nice tin foil u hav...

btw..the fry is it seperated from the parent?

8. repair

repair MFK Members

Feb 9, 2010
      Put me down for a trial shipment....and I don't mind paying for the shipping....I would recomend using overnight...but it's your call.

Don't forget to use something to netualize the amonia, a sponge does a great job and don't feed the guys 1 day before shipping....3 days for larger fish. O2 does a good job also. 1 part water 3 parts air.

I know that you prob know all this but never hurts to remind people.

Thanks. Repair

9. FUB

FUB MFK Members

Dec 11, 2005
      WOw, congrat! Be careful on the water condition and cover the tank with newspaper.

10. DRaGoNoVA

DRaGoNoVA MFK Members

Oct 17, 2005
      congrats!!!