Flying fox with polys?

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
Black beard algae is kicking my butt...

My husband had it in his tank and when he was doing a big clean, he offered me his anubias because he doesn't like them, whereas, it's probably a favorite freshwater plant. I inspected it very carefully, but apparently a missed some and now my tank is infested!

I also admit that I haven't vacuumed in a couple months and need to do that this weekend. I'll be picking up some flourish excel tomorrow as well as I've read that is pretty good against it.

But I have read that flying foxes are amazing against it. But I worry they would go after the slime coat and unlike a relatively slow pleco, I know they are a b**** to catch! Especially in a planted tank with a lot of places to hide.

But I'm getting desperate! Does anyone have good experiences with these fish with polys? Any advice would be great! Thanks!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
What size polys ? Eventually the fox will bevome snacks

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
They are all 8-10in. I know it's a risk. My endlicheri ate an alligator gar not long ago (probably just as well, thought it was a smaller species when I bought it). But thinking maybe if I introduce a few big ones after a live feeding. They usually don't harass fish that have been in the tank for a while (even my breeding convicts babies survived to adulthood! Also have quite a few smaller fish that have been with them for at least a year without even a single torn fin) So may if everyone has full tummies, they might have a chance to establish. But if it works, that's where my concern is about the slime coat. But I'd think they would have a good time with the beard algae.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Love the scape!

Crossocheilus siamensis (Siamese Algae Eater or SAE will assist with the blackbeard and red algae as well.

Before owning polys. I've had both flying foxes (2) and SAE (5) at large6- 6.5" sizes. The only downside is that when they grow older. They seem more enthusiastic towards flakes/pellets. Will occasionally graze when feedings are missed. These species are much better when smaller on algae in general.

Just a suggestion. Have u considered dosing witb seachem flourish excel? It's worked for my planted tank the past. Do some of your own research online to see if it works for u. Good luck!

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
Yeah, I mentioned in my first post that I am buying flourish excel tomorrow. That and the flying foxes seem to be the best option from what I was reading, but it becomes a bit more challenging when polys areinvolved. I think I'll try some flying foxes (they are cheaper than SAE) next week after a live feeding.

Since most of my fish eat meaty foods like feeders and tilapia, I actually feed very little Pellets. Probably about once every other day, so hopefully the continue to graze. If it's safe for the polys, I'll give it a shot. If they ate eaten, well, live and learn!

Thanks for the compliment on the tank, I love live plants and there is a ton of driftwood. Also a 10in knife, but you wouldn't know it during the day lol. I like that they can hide. It kinda makes for a treat when these monsters creep out in the evening (well, except for the sen, he's always out, one of the reasons I love them!).

Anyways, it used to look a lot better before the algae. A lot has died from it, mostly grass but a couple swords too. Such a shame :(

MaineiacJay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2014
United States
Forgive the mistakes, I'm on mobile at 1am and too lazy to edit tonight

The Keeper

Exodon
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2016
Massachusetts
I have tried but eventually when my bichirs got around 5 inches my flying fox was dinner! It was while i went on a 2 day vacation and when i came back my flying fox was nowhere to be found and then i took a closer look at my 5 inch ornate bichir i saw that it had a stomach bulge and right then and there i knew that he ate my flying fox.

Reactions: Polyaddict86

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Yeah you'd need to grow them out and especially with lower jaw polypterus they will eventually become snacks.
That said, I find adding purigen to your filter helps significantly reduce BBA, as the BBA is likely utilizing the larger organic molecules produced from your fish and any dead plant materials in the tank that the plants themselves cannot uptake. The purigen can absorb those excess organics and reduce what is available for the BBA to utilize.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
flying fox do not eat algae. what you're reffering to are SAE. they loook very very similar to flying fox. noobs wont be able to tell them apart. SAE are great algae eater when young but once they get big they get lazy and smarter. and will eat fish food and not algae so get them young if u can. they are fast as hell fish. your polys prolly wont be able to catch them. another fish that are good for hair algae are flagfish.

flagfish/Jordanella floridae
SAE(siamese algae eater)/ Crossocheilus oblongus

make sure u know what SAE's look like. often fish store mistaken them with flying fox.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store