Four Heterotilapia buttikoferi at Fish Story Aquarium and Rescue

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
My first post ever in this section, I think. A couple of years ago got five 2" butti from Rapps, lost one early on after a few months, IDK why, the tummy was badly distended. The current four are 10"+ with one breeding pair claiming the right hand side of the 240 gal they have always been in. WIll get an upgrade soon when I glue and set up more tanks.

Have been rather easy for me, feed on anything, not overly vicious with the territory but still quite firm, even through their first spawn it hasn't been too bad. Their tank mates are 5 Maskoheros argentea, a dozen of ATF, couple lima shovelnose, 27 pictus catfish, 6 Pimelodus ornatus:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They laid eggs again, the same pair, within a month. I didn't bother filming but want to record in this thread for posterity. Just like the last time, the eggs largely or completely disappear in a few days. I do keep a nightlight on, so I'd assume the catfish could not have partaken. Are the parents known to eat the eggs? Viable, nonviable, or both? The smaller is a female and she is a good guard, keeps the vigil well from what I can see. Don't know what transpires at night though.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Could be the parents are eating them if they are nervous and inexperienced, but even with nightlights I would suspect the catfish. Even with nightlights left on most cichlids tend to slow down in the eve, and go into a rest period, which creates a perfect opportunity for the cats to swim in and out quickly grabbing some eggs on each pass. At least that would be my hunch.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Mitchell The Monster

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2016
Georgia
Could be the parents are eating them if they are nervous and inexperienced, but even with nightlights I would suspect the catfish. Even with nightlights left on most cichlids tend to slow down in the eve, and go into a rest period, which creates a perfect opportunity for the cats to swim in and out quickly grabbing some eggs on each pass. At least that would be my hunch.
heck id be nervous too if my tankmates were a dozen ATF and a million pictus cats

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thanks you guys :) I appreciate your thoughts.

I saw a fry in another tank in the same system. Buti's tank is one of six 240 gal tanks sharing a 1500 gal sump. I have observed the fry in another tank (with a 1.5' apurensis and 1.5' Distochodus sexfasciatum) for a week or so: it grew up and was developing buttikoferi-like stripes, has grown probably from 1/4" to 1/2". Then disappeared - IDK if eaten or has gone back into the sump. So at least one egg was viable :) FWIW.

Reactions: bobblehead27

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
THE END

The 4 had been transferred to a 4500 gal some months ago. Then I had to kill them myself recently... as a consequence of our venture applying for licenses to exhibit prohibited and conditional fish species and the ensuing inspections by the Florida Wildlife Commission. (Will be covered in a separate thread. Please, don't ask any questions in this thread.)

Had the hardest time catching them in 4500 gal with two nets in two hands and water dropped to 1.5' only. Extremely smart and capable escapers and avoiders, smartly using the entire water depth and jumping when needed in the right direction.

Chunky feed hogs. Insatiable. About 14" since Jan this year, so in 8 months, from 2".

Middle column:

100_8618.JPG100_8620.JPG

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store