Naples, FL, USA
Our 1st ever true spotted gar caught by Forest and his Dad in Louisiana:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Forest's 4x FL and 1x spotted, all five are 1.5ft. I tried the 4x FL gar first in the 4500 gal aiming to give them, and then the spotted gar, the biggest tank possible. It didn't work. The 4x FL gar were okay in the 4500 gal only for a couple of days and then their tails started to show mild-to-bad damage, so I had to take them out after less than a week and transfer them to a 240 gal, and the spotted gar went in there with them too bypassing the 4500 gal.

The cuban gars have always bit the tails of their kin mercilessly and I think they have done it to these smaller 1.5ft FL gar. The five 2ft cubans never touched the 2ft FL gar, two 2ft tropical gars, and 3ft longnose gar in the 4500 gal.

Have you seen the same where cubans are nasty to each other and to a bit smaller gar of other species, or specifically FL gar?

I've kept 2.5ft alligator gars with 1.5ft FL gars before and never had any problem like this.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
YouTube:

H.P. Stephens • 1 day ago My first Florida gar went almost a year without eating before taking pellets or tilapia. I’m raising 2 long nose now, about 14” and 11”. Been giving them feeders the whole time, but I gut load them and have a very good source at a local bait shop. Hoping I can get them onto cut fish, however I haven’t even tried yet. I want the smaller one to catch up in size before quitting feeders. Wishing you luck with this fish.

TBTB: Thank you. Interesting report. Can a gar fast for a year?? and at what size?

H.P. Stephens • 10 hours ago he was already around the 15-16” mark. A year could be a stretch on my part, if felt like an eternity. I believe it ended up taking pellets right around the 10th month of fasting. I would not do it to another gar, I was stubborn and ignorant. Also, he didn’t seem to lose very much weight, perhaps cooler temps in my tank at the time (70-72) slowed metabolism?
this was me on YouTube. Ended up trying the same method for my longnose, but they accepted prepared food much faster, about 6 weeks. Interestingly they accepted pellets long before eating anything f/t. The temps in the tank of the longnose were 80-82, have no idea if this impacted how readily they would accept pellets for metabolic reasons. All of my gar have been raised with turtles and I’ve wondered if the gar take to the pellets quicker because of watching the turtles chomp away.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store