Fungus on Arowana mouth and peacock bass?

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
So my arowana has this strange fungus like growth on its mouth. This wasn't there yesterday? What's the preferred method of treatment? I already bumped the temperature up to 85 degrees and have changed out 300 gallons of water daily for the past 2 days. Treated the tank with a teaspoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons. Tank is a 380 gallon with a 150 gallon sump that is filled with live plants and bioballs. I also am loosing my temensis bass to some kind of fungal infection. Looked great for the first 3 days, then a little white started showing up around the edges of the fins and on the eyes. The next day the whole fish was covered in thick white string. Now he is barely breathing, floating upside down, isolated in a 40 gallon breeder. No obvious damage from fish on either of the fish showing symptoms. Nitrate is less than 15ppm, no nitrite or ammonia. Tankmates include a Dorado, a kelberi bass, a Nile bichir, a clown knife, 2 koi, 3 gar, a tarpon, a wallago leeri, a channel catfish, and 5 crayfish who never got eaten. Water looks cloudy in the picture because I'm halfway done with my 300 gallon water change for the day.

IMG_20160523_193225942.jpg IMG_20160523_193217868.jpg 14640467288701949277704.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Your fish seem to be dying fast. Sometimes columnar is will do this and look like fungus.

Would wc and get some meds like abx. Try kanamycin which will help. Get a qt tank if able. Notice any lesions on the body?

Aquanero Aquanero .

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
No lesions on the body. I ran to the store and picked up more salt, kanaplex, and pimafix. The bass was dead when I came home. None of the other fish in the tank show any symptoms now except the arowana, and he's too large for my 40 breeder quarantine. I did dose the display with aquarium salt, bumped the water temp to 85 and changed 300 gallons of water today. I also did a half dose of pimafix on the display. I'm hoping by repeating this daily that this should solve the problem. The arowana is still eating like nothing is wrong, and I've only had him 2 days. I think he injured himself when he was thrashing trying to escape when his previous owner caught him out of the 90 gallon tank he was in with a bunch of rocks and African cichlids . Hopefully he clears up soon.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Kanaplex is a good broad coverage. Salt is fine. Would cut the temp down as long as it's not Ich but only my preference. Keep fingers crossed.

Careful with the water changes. I think kanamycin is affected by ph. Those kind of swings with the large wc's can make some difference.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
probably not fungal but bacterial. Actually could be columnaris. If I remember correctly you are better off lowering the temp for this bug.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store