FW sump design: fluidized bed and a refuge?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Perhaps an alternative to, or addition to, you can add a two socks to help with filtration. For your BA, each drain pipe to a sock. The opening for the third (dry stand-by) would be above water somewhere in your sump that would cause a splash if it was in use (to get your attention).

simko

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
I was thinking about the filter socks on the BA pipes. Are they so fine that once they holes of the filter sock mesh fill up it will cause an overflow/restrict water flow?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I was thinking about the filter socks on the BA pipes. Are they so fine that once they holes of the filter sock mesh fill up it will cause an overflow/restrict water flow?
I suppose if you left it long enough and did not clean/replace, it does raise the water level a bit. How long before this starts to even occur depends on how much waste/detritus builds up. I change my primary sock every two weeks - but it's nowhere near a point where my sump would overflow. There are a lot of variables here including how high your sump water level is to begin with. Something to consider, but I wouldn't be concerned to avoid using socks. I think my mesh is around 200dpi.

SN Richards

Feeder Fish
Aug 31, 2017
No problem. I think K1 is great stuff. It just requires a lot more room than what you have available.

Btw, if you change your mind about looking for a cheap 55, here is a picture of my sump that I just installed the baffles in last weekend.

View attachment 1194418

The left chamber will be full of ceramic rings with filter floss/sponges on top for mechanical. The middle will be a refugium area, and will house the heaters. Then the right section will be for the return pumps.
Hi i just noticed your sump, do you happen to know the measurements for each of the baffles you used.. been trying to build my own and this is the last step. trying to get my baffles mainly the width right for my 55 gallon long. The exact same one you have in the photo

matseski

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2014
United States
Hi i just noticed your sump, do you happen to know the measurements for each of the baffles you used.. been trying to build my own and this is the last step. trying to get my baffles mainly the width right for my 55 gallon long. The exact same one you have in the photo
I actually just sold the system, so I am not sure. I think I just cut them about a 1/4" smaller than the tank width. The setup worked great for me.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I am pretty sure that I had them cut to 11.5" wide. This left a slight gap on each side.

Reactions: SN Richards
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store