Fx5 won't start (not impeller) please help

sadler89

Feeder Fish
Jul 1, 2015
Hello have brought another fx5 second hand it came with a new impeller so that can't be at fault is spotless has been fully cleaned out motor off etc
The problem is it doesn't do anything when switched on have tried to Syphon the pipes to help it get going filters completely full
Have taken the motor off and not sure if what it is doing is right looking at the impeller when the motor is off the canister and switched on seems to spin for a second or two and then pause about 3 times and stop haven't left it on to see if it kicks in after two minutes off as didn't really want to run it dry

Any help would be much appreciated as fluval are yet to respond ...
Thanks tony

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Check if the Impeller O-Ring still there, it won't start if that O-Ring missing.

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
I have had my FX-6 not start, but issue was dirty impeller cavity... not really the impeller or magnet itself. I would pull the motor off the canister and plug it in like you were doing... but it you can't get it to freely spin more than 2-3 revolutions you either have an issue with the impeller (deformed somehow and is rubbing on something when its inside the motor) OR your motor/windings are going bad.

I would make sure that that impeller cavity doesn't have anything in it that would affect rotation or provide friction to the impeller and then maybe try swapping out impellers with your other FX-5 to see if you can eliminate the motor being in the issue in the faulty FX5.

Issue still there then its the motor and you will prob have to replace the motor... hopefully just a bad impeller or an alignment issue, best case there is residue inside the motor and its just not allowing the impeller to freely come up to normal rotational speed.

Stang725

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2015
Austin, Tx
I would just take your other "working" FX-5 and use that are you primary tool to find out what's broken/or breaking on the other one.... in terms of looking at stuff like o-ring or impeller condition...

sadler89

Feeder Fish
Jul 1, 2015
Ok thanks for the replies, haven't actually taken to o ring out to see if there's anything down there.
Was hoping not to have to pull one of my others apart I case something went wrong with them but suppose it's better to hopefully rule out the motor because it seems like they are not worth replacing
Thanks tony

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store