Gar bow hunting

raymondk394

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
san bernadino
I wanna know how people feel about people bow hunting gar IMO it pisses me off seeing old timer monster gars with three to four arrows in its body trying to escape it just seems very unneccasery and cruel

Sent from my MT2L03 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
People love to hunt everything in a more challenging way. This being one of them. I don't like bowfishing in general because I feel a lot of the fish goes to waste, but its been around forever and will continue to be a popular sport.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Bow fishing really needs to be stopped. It's one thing to hunt Asian carp because they're invasive and the less of them the better but hunting our natives like gar and bowfin which in some places already have low populations is just plain idiotic. I don't condone those that practice bow fishing.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
People who do it for sport I don't approve of, to me that's the same as walking in the woods and blasting a crow with a turkey load, no sense in it since you aren't going to eat it. I'm fine with people doing it if they eat the fish or at least utilize it in some way (bait, fertilizer, whatever else)

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I hope no fisheries will hire you with that opinion, and you can get fired from that when a potienial employer reads some of your posts.

Alligator gar populations in Texas has been stable that a bow fishing won't put a dent on the populations. Alligator gar fillet is pretty good and the alligator gar seldom goes waste.

I love bow fishing because it helps to management rough fish populations, especially the carps, suckers, buffaloes and gars. Bow fishing has never put a dent on the gars/bowfin populations since they are not often targeted by the anglers.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I hope no fisheries will hire you with that opinion, and you can get fired from that when a potienial employer reads some of your posts.

Alligator gar populations in Texas has been stable that a bow fishing won't put a dent on the populations. Alligator gar fillet is pretty good and the alligator gar seldom goes waste.

I love bow fishing because it helps to management rough fish populations, especially the carps, suckers, buffaloes and gars. Bow fishing has never put a dent on the gars/bowfin populations since they are not often targeted by the anglers.
Disagree. A lot of my local lakes that once had gar no longer have them. People have the wrong idea that they are trash fish and will attack people.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cu554

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2015
Vermont
I don't see the issue with bow fishing as long as they are targeting species which are legal to take. If someone is entitled to 1 gar on their fishing license it shouldn't matter if they take it with hook and line or with a bow. I don't see this being much different then bow hunting for a deer or shooting vs trapping an animal. I have never been bow fishing but it seems like it will take more skill and is a little more exciting then using a rod.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Disagree. A lot of my local lakes that once had gar no longer have them. People have the wrong idea that they are trash fish and will attack people.

Sent from my D6708 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
What kind of gar species that your local lakes has? I doubt it was from bow fishing that caused it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store