Gar care

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I have no idea what this guy is some sort of gar? I actually caught him today on accident and brought him home with me, he was in this plant I picked out of the San Marcos's river while kayaking. this was seriously an accident but a really cool one at that so I kept him now I need to know what to feed him and how to keep him alive he's like .5 of an inch in length seriously looks like a toothpick cut inhalf someone help!!! Here is a pic he's in a 2 gallon tank someone gave me for now. I turned the pump off in fear he'd be sucked up in going to add an air stone just don't know about feeding him what could work. Baby mollys or guppys from my pondt?? They even seem to big for him at this size?

image.jpeg

Dee eng

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2015
Cambodia
Very nice pic up at your local river. Haha Looks like an alagator gar. I could be WRONG? Need petter pics. Feeding, give him some live or frozen bloodworm, try that for a starter. Tbh, I had a gar for 1 wk, until it got sucked down my sump line and got crushed by my pump. But that's what I was feeding it at 3". GL

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Does indeed look to be a baby gar. Myself I would set it up in a small tank. Sponge filter for filtration. Add some plants for cover to help him feel more secure.

The bigger issue is likely feeding. I'd probably try bloodworms or live bearer fry if you can find them.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Bloodworms and he might take grass shrimp (the live feeder kind)

weston

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2015
I tried grass shrimp with no luck he also ignored the blood worms I ended up placing him back where I found him as I couldn't get him to touch any food

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store