Gar color change

Chondromsb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
South Africa
Hi there. I have a strange issue with 2 Alligator gars. I have had these fish for about a year and a half now. They have grown and been well up to this time. They are in a 2.5m diametre X 1.5m deep indoor pond. Tankmates are 2 small Pacus only. They are currently between 70 and 75cm long. We are at the end of a very cold winter. As soon as temperatures are better they are moving to their outside pool. I noticed 4 days ago that they have developed weird white patches on their bodies. No signs of this on pacus. Scales are not damaged and they are eating well and acting as usual. Water parametres are the same as always. I will try to attach pics. Any idwas and help are welcome. Many thanks. Shabeer. South Africa.

20150904_064028.jpg

20150902_211526.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
check water parameters. any plecos in the pond by any chance?

Chondromsb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2014
South Africa
Hi there. Thank you. Water parameters are the same. We monitor ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and ph. Only the pacus in with them. Pacus have been in for 6 months now. Lesions look as if colour has gone, like bleach has fallen on them. Scales appear perfect.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Until a determination is made on the cause I would treat, at least, with some salt to help the fish deal with the pathogen. Is it possible to swab the area for a culture or to gain a sample for a look under a microscope? A local vet or university should be able to check for whether the event is bacterial or fungal to provide a starting point to combat the pathogen.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store