Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

MorningStar

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2015
SoCal
Cool info

minimonsterkeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2015
It looks very similar to my Floridas but with 0 pattern. Its a good looking gar, wish he was in my tank lol. These guys will give you a positive id. They really seem to know their stuff on here.

Reactions: vincentwugwg

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
Got this guy last Thanksgiving from an LFS, sold to me as an Alligator Gar for $45 (figured it wasn't a true alligator gar from the start but bought him anyways). Still have no idea how to tell the difference between Florida, Longnose, and Spotted. Also, for future reference... Anybody know how to tell true alligator gar from other gar at a small size?

IMG_1051.JPG

minimonsterkeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2015
Got this guy last Thanksgiving from an LFS, sold to me as an Alligator Gar for $45 (figured it wasn't a true alligator gar from the start but bought him anyways). Still have no idea how to tell the difference between Florida, Longnose, and Spotted. Also, for future reference... Anybody know how to tell true alligator gar from other gar at a small size?

View attachment 1127739

Definitely a Florida, looks just like mine.

Also, i can tell a true alligator by the eyes, the alligator has huge eyes when small, also a much wider mouth, shorter mouth

Reactions: jclyde13

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada

View attachment 1127739
yup florida for sure. look at the snout for an alligator gar. they have a shorter wider snout. at a juvenile size they have a very dark black spottee pattern as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store