Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

geo. surinamensis questions

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by klmt, Jan 3, 2012.

1. klmt

klmt MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      Ok so i just picked myself up a trio of these surinamensis. Ive never owned any eartheater species before but ive always admired them. Finally ive had some tank space open up and i kind of bought them on a whim. they are around 1.5-2" with decent colors and great personality for their size. Super active and seemingly very healthy. Ive been feeding them bloodworms, mysis shrimp and some krill.For now they are in a 45 gallon hexagonal tank with a small school of buenos aires tetras, a small senegal bichir, and a mellow 3" convicit male. So i mean ive read a little on them and they seem to be not too difficult to care for but any information that anyone thinks would be important for a new geo. owner would be much appreciated. Also feel free to post pics of your own if you would like. Thanks...klmt

2. EarthEaterBob

EarthEaterBob MFK Members

Sep 21, 2012
      Convict might kill them, when I was a begginer, I had a convict female take out some Geo conspecifics. I suggest switching them to a high quality dry food, other then that they are pretty easy to take care off. What substrate do you have? They'll outgrow that tank as well.

3. Loves severums

Loves severums MFK Members

Jen
      Sep 3, 2014
      Get rid of the convict and they will be fine

4. ryansmith83

ryansmith83 MFK Members

Ryan
      Today at 4:37 AM
      Where did they come from? Chances of them being actual G. surinamensis are slim. A lot of Geos are sold in stores, both chain and mom-n-pop, as G. surinamensis but are actually either G. altifrons or G. abalios. Either way, they're all nice fish.

They enjoy sand (they're eartheaters, after all), so a sandy substrate is recommended. They will sift it all day. I feed mine pellets with occasional treats like frozen bloodworms, mysis shrimp, krill, or plankton. They also like freeze-dried bloodworms. I find they do best in groups, so you may want to consider at least 4. I usually do my Geos in groups of 6 if possible. (I follow this rule with a lot of SA cichlids, though.) I keep them warm in the low 80s and give them frequent water changes to avoid HITH. They tend to do best with other peaceful SA types. Mine don't really pay attention to other fish but they do quarrel and fight amongst themselves, which is why it's nice to have a group to spread the aggression around.

Make sure you have a bigger tank for them in the not-too-distant future. They can get pretty large. I've seen people here with 8"+ altifrons.

5. luvinbluegills

luvinbluegills MFK Members

Tuesday at 10:20 AM
      EVERYTHING not jurupari or very like it is labeled surinamensis in some stores! :) I got my S. daemon from a tank labeled surinamensis.

6. fishfanatic46

fishfanatic46 MFK Members

noah
      Apr 30, 2015
      I had a trio I loved them great personality

7. klmt

klmt MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      from the research ive done and the pictures i looked at i think these actually could be the real deal. I got them from a small fish place near me that has the best stock of any fish store ive ever seen. Because of the amount of other rare species i would not be surprised if they really are surinamensis. Ill try to get som pictures up for you guys to make an ID. But nice suggestions, I really like them becaus ethey are always doing something and very responsive to me, not shy at all.

8. abarilot

abarilot MFK Members

Armand
      Today at 1:31 AM
      Sorry but I'm 99.9% sure even before I see the photos that they are not true surinamensis. True G. surinamensis are extremely rare and fetch a high price mainly cuz they not imported. Also at 1.5-2" its going to be hard to ID them, once they get to some size we'll be able to give you an accurate ID.

9. klmt

klmt MFK Members

May 26, 2015
      I might as well post some up now and then when they are older. here is what ive got.Also threw in a picture of my bublebee cat where he got stuck for a while cause he ate too much haha 006.JPG 005.JPG 004.JPG 003.JPG 002.JPG 001.JPG

006.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

001.JPG