Geophagus salt sensitive?

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
Got a few new Geos and they are infested with ich. Raised temp to 86.2 and was going to add salt like I typically would, but I stumbled across some conflicting info stating Geos are very sensitive to salt? Is this true?

I was going to add 1 teaspoon per gal, but like I said was a little skeptical after reading some conflicting info.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Got a few new Geos and they are infested with ich. Raised temp to 86.2 and was going to add salt like I typically would, but I stumbled across some conflicting info stating Geos are very sensitive to salt? Is this true?

I was going to add 1 teaspoon per gal, but like I said was a little skeptical after reading some conflicting info.
not sure which Geos you're talking about, but I have Brasiliensis, "Abalios/Dicrozoster" and Gymnogeophagus balzanii and they are not sensitive to it at all.....as a matter of fact, I have gone from doing 1TBSP per 10 gallons in their tanks 24/7 - 365 to about 1 per 7.5 gallons.....so say instead of 6 for 30 gallons, i'm doing more like 8 for 30 gallons. Everything is all fine and dandy and they are looking and acting healthier than ever. The random occasional torn fin on any of my fish heals within 48 hours or so, even a more serious one (recently my 2 RTMs had an argument and the smaller one had a quite a bit of caudal chewed off) - 72 hours at most.

Salt is ******* great, use the hell out of it. I have been for years on all fish, regardless of family or gena or whatever

Reactions: BMac91

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio

Just be careful if you have scale less fish like corydoras, or loaches.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Just be careful if you have scale less fish like corydoras, or loaches.
would you be surprised if I said "I'm not"? I think Corys and Hoplos are one of the few cats that DO have scales, don't they? They sure look like they have a split row going down them

Don't forget, our 3 biggest native cats have all been found in brackish water, Channel cats even full marine in some places like Indian River, FL and Mosquito Lagoon. I'm starting to really question how sensitive scaleless fish are tbh, and might there have been some other unknown factor contributing to this conclusion, perhaps. Our native cats are definitely 100% scaleless

All of my bottom-feeders receive the same dose of salt as my cichlids do - Cats, Plecos, "Sharks", Eels, you name it

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The Geophagus braziliensus clade can sometimes be found entering brackish river estuaries in southern Brazil, so no problem with those. The other species, I can't speak to.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
would you be surprised if I said "I'm not"? I think Corys and Hoplos are one of the few cats that DO have scales, don't they? They sure look like they have a split row going down them

Don't forget, our 3 biggest native cats have all been found in brackish water, Channel cats even full marine in some places like Indian River, FL and Mosquito Lagoon. I'm starting to really question how sensitive scaleless fish are tbh, and might there have been some other unknown factor contributing to this conclusion, perhaps. Our native cats are definitely 100% scaleless

All of my bottom-feeders receive the same dose of salt as my cichlids do - Cats, Plecos, "Sharks", Eels, you name it
Maybe my case was an isolated one, lost both loaches , cories in the same aquarium. Was treating for out break of ich added salt the loaches, and cories seem to excrete slime coat excessively.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store