Getting back into it

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing this out.

I do think that the comparison should be based on the power consumption without the UV wattage since the FX6 and AC110 do not have these as an option but even then you are right. There would be a $54 difference per year in running each of them. This would equate to a slightly longer recoupe period of a hair under four years but definitely not as long as I originally thought.

Thank you for pointing out the electricity calculator. I have never thought to check for one of those online before.

I do still think the SunSun filters are a good choice, especially if startup costs are limiting but as you have shown, the long run cost effective option would be the FX6 and AC110. You just need the startup money to put into them.

This does bring me to the question of why the SunSun filters use so much power vs other filters with similar characteristics.
Don't get me wrong, I think the Sunsuns are a good value and have their place. I think for your average hobbyist with one 55 gallon tank or so, the Sunsun is a good economical option. But for "Monster Fish Keepers" and those that have multiple tanks, they start to become less practical.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I agree with that. I am glad it has worked out so well for me this far and definitely wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. However, if I were outfitting a room with dozens of tanks then you're right on. It would be best to make sure the options used are energy efficient.

Greenspot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
Australia
Travis just like you thought, our power bill was enormous. Low ambient temps, I had two 300w heaters in there. And I was heating the water for a cold water fish. Just to 15 degrees. On the plus side it made the room much warmer.

I have found a tank we are going to have a look at tomorrow. It's so narrow, but it's a compromise. Less water to heat but I still get the length I most wanted. And it's way cheaper than new. It's 72 wide14 deep and 18 high. So 70 something gal. Stand needs a lot of work but I have some cool ideas to jazz it up.

image.png

Greenspot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
Australia
The 6ft was way too old. I have found a 4ft I'll look at on the weekend. It will work in the meantime till we can afford my dream tank. Then I'll sell it.

Greenspot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
Australia
So 4ft is out too. The guy sold it to someone else. Just means I'm looking a brand new for my birthday end if July. Gives me time to save anyway. And I get the exact tank I want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store