GETTING MY FIRST GULPER CAT!!

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
hey guys!

As you can tell from the amount of capitals in the title, I'm finally getting a gulper catfish!!! It should be in by next Thursday/Friday :D

So a few questions,

First: How fast do they grow?

Second: What should I feed it? I have shrimps from costco (with shell) and silversides. Should I try massivore too?

Third: Would a 90g be good for life? Most sites say like 50g+ but just wana make sure. Itll be sharing the tank with an Oscar and Palmas poli

Thanks for who ever helps :D I'll post pictures when I get it

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
hey guys!

As you can tell from the amount of capitals in the title, I'm finally getting a gulper catfish!!! It should be in by next Thursday/Friday :D

So a few questions,

First: How fast do they grow?

Second: What should I feed it? I have shrimps from costco (with shell) and silversides. Should I try massivore too?

Third: Would a 90g be good for life? Most sites say like 50g+ but just wana make sure. Itll be sharing the tank with an Oscar and Palmas poli

Thanks for who ever helps :D I'll post pictures when I get it
Not to fats they max out at a foot. I suppose those are good to try and start off, just vary its diet with meaty foods. A 90 is good for life. It'll eat your poly for sure. Even if it's smaller all it has to do is bend the poly.

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
What size is the Oscar? he might eat that too. 90 seems good. I would go for prawn over shrimp (or inject with vitaChem or similar). I take the shells off. Then tilapia filets cheaper than silversides. And if you've got the money do massivore but tha gulper will be a pig!

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
Not to fats they max out at a foot. I suppose those are good to try and start off, just vary its diet with meaty foods. A 90 is good for life. It'll eat your poly for sure. Even if it's smaller all it has to do is bend the poly.
darn :S even if they grow up together? Any tips on how fast they grow

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
A lot of owners have agreed that it's slow. There maybe some fish outside the norm but overall slow and cannot give you a rate or number.

quasar

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
The oscar is already 13". The gulper is going to be on its own for a bit in a 20g due to the store only getting them at 4".

Hopefully i can at least get it to 6" in a couple of months with some power feeding lol

in_the_seance

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2012
montana
The oscar is already 13". The gulper is going to be on its own for a bit in a 20g due to the store only getting them at 4".

Hopefully i can at least get it to 6" in a couple of months with some power feeding lol
I can't trust a catfish with a mouth like that. I hope it works out. At full size I feel that gulper would still try to take a large Oscar or die trying

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
I would feed it a varied diet, and as for tank mates any fish in with it is a risk, a poly will just get eaten, and the oscar is a risk. As is shown by this video they will happily eat fish that are about the same size, and could try to eat larger with less successful results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store