Getting shocked

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Just checked all equipment.....im guessing this is my problem?.....the surge protectors ground prong is missing......idk how this could of happend.....i could of swore it had all 3 prongs when i installed it

This had to be the problem

View attachment 1210086

View attachment 1210087
That surge protector is garbage. I had two of them melt on me. Luckily there was no fire.

Reactions: SandNukka15

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
You need to test everything by unplugging them one at time, heaters, pumps, and even lights, any of them could be the problem. Although heaters are notorious, and I have had that problem with titanium type before, a hanging light cord in touch with water can also be a problem.
It can also be helpful to get a grounding probe, these plug into a grounded socket and help absorb excess current.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3946
It can lessen to shock enough to save you from having heart failure.
Thanks i ordered a similar one

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
I didn't have time to read all of the replies but wanted to give some advice. If you are electrically inclined you can figure out your problem. Put a multimeter on a voltage setting appropriate for 110 household voltage measurement. Stand on something dry that is also an insulator like a rubber mat. Without touching any conductive sources of these parts put one probe in the sump and the other probe on a ground source. This could be the ground plug of an outlet or a steel post that goes into the ground etc. You should read a voltage. Have someone unplug each electrical device separately until the voltage disappears... that's your culprit. Again only do this is you understand electricity and the reasons for each steps in these instructions. If you do not you couod easily do something even more dangerous.

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I didn't have time to read all of the replies but wanted to give some advice. If you are electrically inclined you can figure out your problem. Put a multimeter on a voltage setting appropriate for 110 household voltage measurement. Stand on something dry that is also an insulator like a rubber mat. Without touching any conductive sources of these parts put one probe in the sump and the other probe on a ground source. This could be the ground plug of an outlet or a steel post that goes into the ground etc. You should read a voltage. Have someone unplug each electrical device separately until the voltage disappears... that's your culprit. Again only do this is you understand electricity and the reasons for each steps in these instructions. If you do not you couod easily do something even more dangerous.
Yes thanks this is what i plan on doing once my meter comes in

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store