Giant Jaguar - should I keep him single?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Hi,
I have a pretty giant Jaguar. Recently (2-3 months ago) I got a Pleco to add to the tank. So its just the Jag and the Pleco.
I was kind of happy to see that the Jaguar has not been a bully. He pushes the Pleco out of his way from time to time, but never chomps or attacks.

That said, I am wondering if another mid level tank mate might work also. Something (non-cichlid) that wont trigger his territorial side, but still look nice.

Its a 125 Gallon. FX-5 with an Aquaclear HOB.
Very thin sand substrate.
1x/week 50% water changes

Any thoughts.
Here's some pictures. ;)

View attachment 1133254

View attachment 1133255

View attachment 1133256
I would. He is stunning. I would add more sand though.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
very very nice jag, how big is he? he looks great alone imo, the tank is his and it should stay that way!-) get him a 100 river shrimp when your bored and watch him hunt!

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I used to have more sand, but he always stirred it up so high it would go up the filter inlets and fill up my canister. lol Even after I cut the inlet so it was higher up off the bottom.

I also had rocks, driftwood, etc. But he would pick them up and smash them into the glass.

So he gets a Tbsp of sand and some plastic plants that he will still pick up and drag across the entire tank.
:D

I thought about a girlfriend at one point, but that seems like too much work if they actually had fry. I would have to find somewhere to take them.. bla bla bla.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
very very nice jag, how big is he? he looks great alone imo, the tank is his and it should stay that way!-) get him a 100 river shrimp when your bored and watch him hunt!
He's about 16" including his tail fin. I think he would agree with you ;)

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
He looks great! Try a group of larger silver dollars and if he gets to aggressive take them out.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hi,
I have a pretty giant Jaguar. Recently (2-3 months ago) I got a Pleco to add to the tank. So its just the Jag and the Pleco.
I was kind of happy to see that the Jaguar has not been a bully. He pushes the Pleco out of his way from time to time, but never chomps or attacks.

That said, I am wondering if another mid level tank mate might work also. Something (non-cichlid) that wont trigger his territorial side, but still look nice.

Its a 125 Gallon. FX-5 with an Aquaclear HOB.
Very thin sand substrate.
1x/week 50% water changes

Any thoughts.
Here's some pictures. ;)

View attachment 1133254

View attachment 1133255

View attachment 1133256
How to take pictures like these. But to your point adding a midswimer probably not a good idea

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
How to take pictures like these. But to your point adding a midswimer probably not a good idea
I actually used my phone. lol Its the Nokia with the 41 megapixel camera.
Its more like a camera with a phone on it. haha.
I get better pictures with an actual camera. These have a lot of reflections on them.
Have the light on inside the tank, no glare in the background, aim slightly downward if using a flash.
it takes quite a few tries before i get good ones. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store