Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
I'd say yes Volta. Females can reach 1.5ft-2ft. Males 1ft-1.5ft.
Oh yay! Thanks! That's what I was leaning toward, but I didn't want wishful thinking to influence me. I was wanting a Volta for my 8'x30" 250g because they stay a bit smaller. Do you have an opinion on the sex? He looks longer and thinner to me so I was hoping male, but I'm certainly not an expert.

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Did you do the video on the 5 Auchenoglanis Sp. in the trade? If so, thanks! It's was very helpful because I've only kept one of them before and there is so much contradictory information and honesty it's the first explanation that really seemed to address all the different species I had seen in the hobby.

• Love
Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
Does $150 seem on par for this specimen? I'm not sure how frequently they are seen. He's maybe 9" and the store said they've had him quite awhile. I'm in the Midwest USA

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
I have one, paid $100 from a member on here for a 10" fish, I'd say $150 from an LFS is fair as they rarely show up anywhere...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
yes, it was our video

it is kinda haggard looking, had a tough life either in the prior hands on in the shop or both. I'd say $150 can be deemed a bit steep but it is not out of the range.

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
yes, it was our video

it is kinda haggard looking, had a tough life either in the prior hands on in the shop or both. I'd say $150 can be deemed a bit steep but it is not out of the range.
Yeah I noticed that. There are a lot of giant fish in the tank he's in, so even though I think they do daily water changes it's probably been a bit rough. His fins are almost wrinkled, for lack of a better word. Part of me would rather buy a few juveniles and raise them up myself, but my concern is actually being able to find another Volta. Does anyone have an idea how often Wetspot gets them in, or if the ones labeled Volta are actually Volta?

Reactions: tlindsey

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wetspot often or always(?) gets them in tiny, like 1"-2", and hence hard to ID it seems to me. Once they grow a bit, it can be become easier to ID.

I've no statistics on any vendor on the correctness of the ID of the gcats.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store