Gold Jaguars from Rapps, Finally found some!!!

Ripdevil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
DMV
so I saw on Jeffs website that he has these golds for sale, but the picture he posted of a parent is a xanthic. So.................?

Ripdevil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
DMV
Jeffs site says golds for sale, but a xanthic in his picture of a presumed parent. hmmm....

terrors r us

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
Jeffs site says golds for sale, but a xanthic in his picture of a presumed parent. hmmm....
That is what got me confused in the first place.....he texted me a pic and said it was an old photo and he had to update the photo but I never asked him if the fish were Gold or Xanthic.
I'm pretty sure they are Gold because I don't think you would have an entire batch of Xanthic fry. They are Definitely more rare. But it's all good, looking forward to see what they turn into.....

Reactions: Vukmir13

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Hey guys, nice to meet everyone. I also picked up 6.
Still not quite grasping the xanthic vs gold. Are these line bred by pairing the goldest jags together? Would the entire spawn of these guys be the same color?

image.jpeg

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
I got mine a year ago. Beautiful fish. I was concerned that the Lack of pattern came from too intense line breeding. I asked Dr Paul Loiselle who said that the form is found like that in the wild. Fisherman call it king of the guapotes...because it is caught so infrequently. I have six of them. This is the largest male at 8". The same fish at six inches had no pattern. Good luck with yours. Give them some cover. They're ok at an inch or so...but they get scrappy.

View attachment 1209829

View attachment 1209833
I hope these are around when I settle down traveling. If your a jag guy these have to be on your list. Looking good. Keep us updated.

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
I originally thought there were xanthic, but according to the experts here, they’re gold morph instead. Could someone explain the difference between morph and xanthic? I assumed these fish were deficient in melanin, which could display their gold base color without any dark patterns overlapping, and also make them semi-albino.

BastardFish

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
West Coast
Nice fish you all posted. I could have sworn Rapps had these posted or listed as Xanthic when they were first available and yeah used pics of them at least. I could be wrong but feel like I'm not idk. Glad I didn't go for them that would of really pissed me off. I do think those gold morph are pretty sweet too though but like MoJo mentioned they won't ever turn Xanthic hats two different things there. Cool fish both types enjoyed looking

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store