good sump media?

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
This sump is under my 180 and it has a tower. It basically takes the flow from a 2250 (plumbed externally and fed from a submerged 1250Eheim pump). The column holds just under 10g bio-balls. The plastic box is full of 20 and 30ppi poret foam and drains into two 7"x16" 300mic filter socks.
I can't get a good picture of the FSB...but it is basically a 6"dia.x3' clear acrylic cylinder with 10lbs medium sand and fed from an Eheim Compact 3000 pumping approx. 800gph.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
Very nice setup I need to try that. I see you have some nice clown loaches. I had 4 cl at around 4 inch and made the mistake of putting a wild cought blue crayfish (if you can belive that) in with them. Needless to say they where all dead before I could find the little blue bugger and feed him to my rays

Reactions: boldtogether

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Very nice setup I need to try that. I see you have some nice clown loaches. I had 4 cl at around 4 inch and made the mistake of putting a wild cought blue crayfish (if you can belive that) in with them. Needless to say they where all dead before I could find the little blue bugger and feed him to my rays
That sucks big time...
I have 8 CL in there...3"-8"...
The bio towers are really easy to make and they save room in the sump for other things. Thats a fairly old pic....I have a Reeflo return now but the setup is still pretty much the same. My FSB was super easy to make as well...actually, FSB are, iMO, one of the most efficient filters out there and diy FSBs are easy.

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada
It made me feel better watching my ray eat him lol.
You put alot of thought into your sump I wish I did more thinking and less doing on mine but it is what it is.
You can see in my pictures that there is a space to the right I want to use what would be your suggestion for media? I recently put snails in there but would much rather use it for bio if I can. Added a picture of my other sump aswell incase you have some input on changes or ways to make it better

20151124_174900.jpg

View attachment 20151124_174924.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
150 liters of K1 in a moving bed with socks. Frankly, it really doesn't make a big difference. I wish I would have spent the $250 on pot scrubbers. Wait. Make that $500? Don't be stupid like me.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
It made me feel better watching my ray eat him lol.
You put alot of thought into your sump I wish I did more thinking and less doing on mine but it is what it is.
You can see in my pictures that there is a space to the right I want to use what would be your suggestion for media? I recently put snails in there but would much rather use it for bio if I can. Added a picture of my other sump aswell incase you have some input on changes or ways to make it better

View attachment 1151261

View attachment 1151262
Thats a big sump.

You could put poret foam, matala mat, expanded clay, pothos...
It really is a matter of what you want to accomplish.....what do you have in the final stage?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store