goonch grow out

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Nice Shane good to see its settled in now and feeding etc it'll soon be a beast :)
thanks Evz,

he is doing really well. water is stable and i'm doing 40% wc weekly now. i have his next tank sat in the garage i'll be building the filtration and stuff over the summer, a nice 260G with a 6'x3' footprint, it's my bargain of the year at £50.

I have read there growth is slow, he is probably doing 1" a month there abouts, but the thing you notice more is how heavy set he has become. feeding is still 1 evening feed a day and thats 6 days out of 7, he taking carny pellets, and mixed frozen foods also sinking catfish pellets so a good varied diet. he is never begging for food, he doesn't move till it's in the water then its best to keep your fingers clear hahaha.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
so this week we had a bad one...

it would seem these fish don't like change all that much. this week i have noticed that he wasn't happy, hiding and not on the move as much. well on sunday i did a water change and moved the filter slightly, turned off the heater as its getting warmer and now he is back to normal so i think either the flow was off or the tank was getting to warm 24'C

even though it's only been a week he has missed a lot of feeds and found loads of waste food in the tank through the week. it looks like he may have lost a bit of weight too which i will have to sort but moving him from carni pellets to massivor so hope this will help.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
Keep an eye on that waste food hanging about mate, goes without saying that'll soon turn the water sour.

Goonch is looking fantastic, very envious.
Enjoy your updates, keep them coming :)

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
Keep an eye on that waste food hanging about mate, goes without saying that'll soon turn the water sour.

Goonch is looking fantastic, very envious.
Enjoy your updates, keep them coming :)
yeh it does not sit for long, i feed in the evening and if there is any leftover or waste it get cleared in the morning. i have a 6mm airline to hand at all times lol i don't think i have ever spend so much time tinkering with a tank cichlids are so much easier lol

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
been a while here is an update.

so work was kind enough to send me out of town for 5 weeks, so all that has been going on up until mid may was thrown out the window.

now i'm not ashamed to admit that while i have been gone there has been no water changes done, ( from the phone call to me leaving was hours ) and you can see in this thread im normally quite meticulous when it come to my cat. the wife while i was away read my feeding instructions wrong so rather than 4-5 massivore pellet she has been feeding him 10 a day.

well all this can only lead to one outcome

amazingly healthy stocky goonch reaching about 14" lol its head is nearly 2" across.

ok just to clarify all tanks will be getting a 90% water change and back to normal schedule, and this is by no means the best way to keep any fish but this couldn't be helped. i always have over filtration just for this reason. once i have given the tank a good clean out and sorted it i will get some updated picture.

its upgraded 260G will beset up over the next few months i think im going move him into an outside shed

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
so here i the water test i took just before i did the WC, so this is 5 wks no WC and slightly over feed from normal

Ammonia

Nitrates

so tank was holding well, still not good for the cat.

but he is happy again in clean water (excuse the bits in the bottom ill be doing a mid week change to try and clear the build up of silt)

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
shed now ordered ready for the new tank to go in, cant wait to get him moved to the 260G, and out the house so i have a bit better control on the lower temps

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
while the new tank and shed is being sorted his growth has picked up a bit, probably due to the water temp climbing with the recent high 20's

so here is a few pics as i had to change his hiding spot around a bit to make room for his bulk. i dont think he length is the noticeable feature now its more the pure bulk and presence in the tank he has.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
nice mate, I go quiet on here for a few months and your goonch turns into a monster!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store