Got My First Job Interview Ever!!! Any Advice?

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Shame you didnt get the job, but ontop of all the above advise, Ad Agencies etc are looking for people who can show their creativity for the job... Showing your passion for the job helps, but dont be too overly enthusiastic or it can also sometimes backfire...
Thanks. I'm pretty sure my honesty was my downfall. She asked me "why do you think you DESERVE to get through to the second stage interview?" And I honestly (maybe a little to honestly) answered something along the lines of "I don't deserve it, someone else has to be more deserving than me, but I'd really appreciate the opportunity to join the workforce and essentially start a career" and she looked at my like I was stupid for a split second and moved to the next question.

Next time I'll try to have a reason for "deserving" the job. :D haha

Reactions: Fat Homer

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i have to agree i think that may have just been it...

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
If you don't deserve it then you shouldn't even apply for the job. Sorry that's a rookie mistake you have to let them think that your a catch and do they deserve you...

Reactions: Frank Castle

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
  1. suit and tie, at the very least shirt and tie
  2. bring a copy of your resume just in case
  3. big smile and just answer all questions to the best of your abilities
  4. come 15 mins early
  5. maybe a thank you email (I dont, my classmates do)
All very generic advice, but tested and proven. Maybe google the company and find out basic information about the company and try to incorporate your findings into your answers. Good luck friend.
Lol dress for the type of interview your going for. Watch step brothers to under stand

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
If you don't deserve it then you shouldn't even apply for the job. Sorry that's a rookie mistake you have to let them think that your a catch and do they deserve you...
It was my first interview and she caught me off guard with it. Had she worded it differently (or if I'd had a second or two to actually think) I probably would have given a different answer. Say if she'd asked "why do you want..." or "what makes you more suited.." or whatever, I probably could of said something else.

But DESERVE, well, that I don't. There were people with kids, and elderly parents there that were way more deserving than me and surely needed it more, I only apply for jobs because I want something to do. We don't NEED the money, it would be nice, but we manage as is.

On top of all that I can't lie. I cannot look someone in the eye and dishonestly say "I'm the best, you should hire me because you'll never find a better candidate than me!" Because not a word of that is the truth. :)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It was my first interview and she caught me off guard with it. Had she worded it differently (or if I'd had a second or two to actually think) I probably would have given a different answer. Say if she'd asked "why do you want..." or "what makes you more suited.." or whatever, I probably could of said something else.

But DESERVE, well, that I don't. There were people with kids, and elderly parents there that were way more deserving than me and surely needed it more, I only apply for jobs because I want something to do. We don't NEED the money, it would be nice, but we manage as is.

On top of all that I can't lie. I cannot look someone in the eye and dishonestly say "I'm the best, you should hire me because you'll never find a better candidate than me!" Because not a word of that is the truth. :)

I would hire you just because of honesty.:D Some candidates will dishonestly say their the ultimate employee lol because of desperation.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I would hire you just because of honesty.:D Some candidates will dishonestly say their the ultimate employee lol because of desperation.
If only you were the person doing the interview. :p

My hubby said a similar thing, he told me that I'll know when I've found the right employer because they'll hire me for that exact reason. :)

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
It adds to your experience, and you'll go into the next interview that much stronger and confident, and less stressed out-though a healthy level off stress is a good thing.
Best wishes for your future.

Reactions: tlindsey

Atfownz

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
Here
That really sucks.. I guess your honesty was a double edged sword. I think if one is hungry enough, any position is well deserving. Best of luck to your future interview(s) katt.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I dont think your asnwer to that question was the reason. I would have answered the same way. "Deserve" no one deserves anything...this all depends on the personality of the person holding yhe interview and what they are looking for. I think op's answer shows that she's humble. Thats what i used to look for, i would take someone who was inexperienced but humble and eager over someone with the perfect qualifications any day of the week. That way i can train and mold them exactly like i want them to be

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store