Green terror and Severum?

Isaac'sTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
I have a 55g long and am still green behind the ears. I was hoping to get some input if a male green terror and a severum would be compatible in a 55g.

Isaac'sTank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2016
Almost forgot. I have sand substrate with a few cheep plants in there. Would a Java fern survive? It has about 8-10 inches in roots. If not I also have some floating plants like horn wort and duck weed.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I would say only a severum could fit in a 55. a GT needs 125 ideally and will likely be highly aggressive in a small tank. I would not keep a cichlid longer than 8" in a 4ft tank since they are chunky fish that need space

joegriggs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2016
I'd expect the Severum to eat and destroy most live plants. Although I have been told that some java fern and floating plants can work.

As for housing the two fish together, I personally wouldn't risk it in a tank of that size. If you are keen to put the two species together, then I'd suggest a much larger tank. The decision is yours though.

Reactions: cichlidfish

Americancichlids

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
I would say only a severum could fit in a 55. a GT needs 125 ideally and will likely be highly aggressive in a small tank. I would not keep a cichlid longer than 8" in a 4ft tank since they are chunky fish that need space
A 125? That's insane. OP a green terror would do plenty fine in a 75.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well... I don't know if it's "insane" haha.
I would use a 125 as a baseline for the big bruiser cichlids, and you could keep a sev and GT in there

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
55 pretty small for them imo, more feasible for one or the other along with a few smaller fish, depending on their individual temperament and ultimate size. But at one point, maybe 15-17 years ago, I had a female severum and male GT together in a 75 for for a few years (with other fish in the tank), both were adults and they were buddies. The GT had already been in the tank for a few years and died first (old age), after which the sev acted depressed for a few weeks until I got another sev to put in the tank (juvie male).

Perception of tank size can be relative to what you're used to-- if you're used to 6 ft tanks, 4 ft seems small, if you're used to a 55 a 125 can seem huge, though it's not really when fish get 10-12 inches or more-- but, no, you wouldn't need a 125 if the individual fish get along. What I agree with, though, is the smaller the tank, the more potential to see some aggression from one or the other.

As I've said before, ime most tank bred green terrors aren't bad at all, wild green terrors a whole other story. Sevs are fine ime, except in tanks too small. Beyond that there's always the variable of individual fish temperament, etc.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store