growing now

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
well i picked this up in a LFS as a unknown goby and it turned out to be a marble. I have had a tuff time with this little guy because where i planed to keep wouldnt have worked. so i read they can do ok with cichlids aslong as they ger regular food and can hide away, so i reset up a tank and put it in with a bichir, and a couple of odd JD's and although it was doing ok it just didnt seem to get enough food mainly down to its ambush tactics and not willing to venture out and hunt. well over the last month or so i have got it to eat off of tongs, this means i can feed the rest of the fish there dry food as normal then once they settle down for the evening and all the lights are off i can come in and feed it a mix of worms, prawn, smelt, and other meating foods straight off the tongs. its now putting on weight and growing like a weed, with over 1.5" of growth since i got him on the tongs. as a bonus the bichir also now takes from the tongs lol but that gets loads because its not fussy about pellets.

heres a few snaps of it hanging out in its cave.

Reactions: tlindsey and isde02

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Awesome little guy. They seem to take their time at eating. It's seems like they're debating if they should eat or not. It won't stay small for long. I've had mine since Thanksgiving of 2014 @ 2" and as of today it's 8" and its growth seems to have slowed down. Like you said, rarely ventures out of it's cave.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
yeh i have to feed him in stages, so i give him his first prawn, if he is really hungry he will come out and take it, back to his cave and disappear give him 10mins and his head will pop back out (like in the picture) then i can feed him a bit more lol and this goes on a few times till he refuses to eat it. he is now about 4" maybe 4.5" max and just starting to get the body shape of the adults that more curved look (like your avatar).

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
a few pics of this guy lurking out of his cave.

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
thanks mate, its coming along now. have to think about finding its own tank soon the cichlids its with wont let it move freely around the tank (not that it wonts move that much)

fishnatics

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Hooligan it doesn't surprise me that he's the boss of his tank. How big is he now? Your's is a nice dark color. Mine's around 11" and definitely the boss too. All its tank mates will move out of the goby's way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store