Gulper Catfish Health Problem

Chedders17

Feeder Fish
Dec 4, 2019
Idk what is wrong with my gulper catfish. I have two. One is completely fine but the other is acting different in swimming patterns and has white dots all around it’s body including eyes. Reading online tells me between the obvious case of ich or columnaris. The Ph in the tank was around 7.6 which is high but I’m waiting on other means of lowering the level naturally. Other than that I have introduced feeders to the tank since i have had the fish. This has been going on however for the past week.If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this matter I need the help.

93924264-B2E8-4398-82EE-EED095319926.jpeg

F4F4DD34-D7D9-4CF8-A645-21A0A98EB617.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Looks like the start of Ich. Would stop with use of feeders. Would check ur water quality. Make sure ur cycled and keep nitrates down etc. Gulpers are black water fish and need soft and acidic water. So if ur water can be close to that then it’ll help but that just imo.

Would consider treating with heat and salt (86 degrees and 3tsp per g. Half salt now and add other half in 8 hours. With every change of water add the salt back. Cont like this for over 14 days and atleast 7 days after the last spot has gone.

Other option is to treat with meds. Like paragaurd, copper, api ich cure and kordon ich. Follow directions per label.

Do what’s easier for you.

Chedders17

Feeder Fish
Dec 4, 2019
Looks like the start of Ich. Would stop with use of feeders. Would check ur water quality. Make sure ur cycled and keep nitrates down etc. Gulpers are black water fish and need soft and acidic water. So if ur water can be close to that then it’ll help but that just imo.

Would consider treating with heat and salt (86 degrees and 3tsp per g. Half salt now and add other half in 8 hours. With every change of water add the salt back. Cont like this for over 14 days and atleast 7 days after the last spot has gone.

Other option is to treat with meds. Like paragaurd, copper, api ich cure and kordon ich. Follow directions per label.

Do what’s easier for

couldi add them in a quarantine tank that has yet to have bacteria’s and healthy water parameters established or just treat them in the tank they are in? They are the only fish in the tank.

CodysOutCruisin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024

Do what’s easier for you.
When doing the salt treatment, how often do you change the water? (I'm on well water and it's very soft and acidic)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
When doing the salt treatment, how often do you change the water? (I'm on well water and it's very soft and acidic)
Change when nitrates are above 20ppm.

Reactions: CodysOutCruisin

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Just check though. I cannot see the full pictures of the original case as poor connection where I am but ich and epistylis are easily confused, yet their treatment is very different. If you have regular sized white spots which are generally not on the eyes you have ich. If you have variable sized spots varying in colour from clear to grey to whitish which are also on the eyes then you have epistylis.

Reactions: kno4te

CodysOutCruisin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2024
Just check though. I cannot see the full pictures of the original case as poor connection where I am but ich and epistylis are easily confused, yet their treatment is very different. If you have regular sized white spots which are generally not on the eyes you have ich. If you have variable sized spots varying in colour from clear to grey to whitish which are also on the eyes then you have epistylis.

I know I'm reviving a super old post, but basically what I have is some kind of livebearer disease with my guppies. Looks like columnaris, and only one of my fish shows signs of anything similar to ich. Coincidentally my moms fish definitely have ich and it looks totally different... I asked my LFS and he handed me melafix. I've been using it for 4 days, and I haven't lost a fish since I started, however the big Grey patches on the fish seem to be growing.

In walks current problem: I ordered my gulper before this outbreak started. He just came in and I'm freaking out because Idk what's best to do to prevent him from getting what the guppies are carrying.

6.5 ph
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
<20 nitrates.
Water temp is currently set to 86F..

I have more salt and ich-X on the way.. I don't want to lose my dream fish right after I get him :(

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
If your well water is soft and acidic, guppies are not a good idea. This is exactly the opposite of what they require and keeping them healthy will be a challenge. This could be what you are seeing and all being well, may not automatically affect your gulper, they are much less fussy with soft and acidic water at ph6.5.
Of course, if you are thinking of housing your gulper with your guppies there won’t be an issue for long as you most likely won’t have any guppies.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store