Guppy fry in an unicycled tank

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
Ok so I bought pregnant guppies (at the time I didn't know she was pregnant) and she gave birth before I could finsh cycling our guppy nursery. They are in a smallish container at the moment (3liters). I put an mature filter in the nursery I want to know if they will be ok in the tank if I add them now.

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
If you moved a mature filter over, they SHOULD be right.

If you're really worried about it just test the tank daily and add prime (or similar) as/if its needed. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and do not claim to be. Always do your own research and always cross reference! :)

Post Script: unicylcled... Gotta love auto correct. :p

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If you moved a mature filter over, they SHOULD be right.

If you're really worried about it just test the tank daily and add prime (or similar) as/if its needed. :)

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert and do not claim to be. Always do your own research and always cross reference! :)

Post Script: unicylcled... Gotta love auto correct. :p
ya I was going to make a joke about the tank being on one wheel.

As Ebbi here stated, Prime or Safe is great to have on hand in case the tank crashes, saves fish believe me lol.

Reactions: Lady Sphinx

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
plus 100 to all this.....i always do the same, but aside from a mature filter i use some old tank water too - i call it a Speed-cycle. Some old tank water will make it cycle even faster :) not too much just a little, maybe 20% of your total volume

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If you have seeded media in the tank it'll be fine, put the fish in, ring out the media into the tank water and bam, instant cycle.
Does that even really work though lol? I'd have thought the entire media with water running through it is risky enough, likely to spike even then...

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Does that even really work though lol? I'd have thought the entire media with water running through it is risky enough, likely to spike even then...
I've used seeded media to cycle a tank, cheaper than bottled bacteria. I've never spent more than a week cycling a tank.

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
It works, Ive set tanks up with mature media several times.
As for the bacterial bloom just keep up water changes for a week or so will even out eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store