Guppy fry in an unicycled tank

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I personally always have a sponge filter sitting in the sump ,just in case someone spawns. I remove water from the main aquarium transfer it to the nursery tank. Some fry are sensitive to changes in water such as ph, and any ammonia, nitrite or high nitrates.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Yeah, but I mean just the squeezing liquid bit, I've done the sponges media etc countless times
OH sorry haha, ya I mean I think it allows the bacteria to free float to new surfaces faster, that's just a general theory I've seen.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Bacterial bloom in my guppy nursery. Should I remove them, do a water change or what I can't test for ammonia, please advise!!!
can you explain this a little more.....what do you mean "bacterial bloom" and how do you know you have one?

Always do 50% WC as a safeguard for concern areas, diagnose will come in time

Last edited:

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My water turned extremely milky. I did a 50% water change last night and did another 50% water change this morning.

I couldn't sleep last night due to me worrying that my babies would be ok. So far I haven't lost any of them.

Thats great to hear.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
My water turned extremely milky. I did a 50% water change last night and did another 50% water change this morning.

I couldn't sleep last night due to me worrying that my babies would be ok. So far I haven't lost any of them.
Always do a 50% WC when in doubt. I think your milky white is just an ammonia spike, TBH.......have you tested before and aftter?

only other time I seen water turn milky white was because there were unseen ornaments that needed to be scrubbed or decaying food matter or plant matter in the tank, usually hidden from sight

Try getting in there ad moving stuff around and see if anything needs to be scrubbed or vacuumed

Lady Sphinx

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
South Africa, Johannesburg
Frank my fry nursery is doing lot better already I'm doing WC twice a day just incase and there is no ornaments in the tank just the sponge filter and a fake plant which have been in the main tank since I got it.

I m going to add lights soon so that I can add some java moss but at the moment it's not get enough light to add the moss

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I m going to add lights soon so that I can add some java moss but at the moment it's not get enough light to add the moss
Does it get any natural light at all? My java moss survives (key word, survives) in all of my tanks, and in the tank with a light (crappy one at that) it grows well. I'm pulling handfuls of it off of the driftwood every few weeks just so I can see my wood.

If you have enough moss, rip off a 2" chunk and put in the nursery and see how you go. :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Just keep up with water changes,guppies r some of the hardiest fish out there,I've seen them survive in nasty waters,in unfiltered tanks,bowls,they even live in full salt!just a note with guppies: the yellow color is dominant and red is not,just so u know if u want red guppies,also it can take months for a guppy fry to reach full color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store