hair algae starting in cherry shrimp tank

Jessica Blunt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
I have breeding red cherry shrimp in a 50l tank and its starting to form some type of hair algae in it. Its a grey colour, and too small for me to take a photo of. I was wondering how I could get rid of it, before it gets worse. The shrimp arnt seeming to get it and its forming on the glass and plants ( java moss, Subwassertang, anacharis and micro sword). Chemical treatments that are shrimp safe if possible. Thanks for reading.

Jessica Blunt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
No, I don't think its black beard. Its not fuzzy and hasn't really grouped up like that. Its attached itself to plants/glass with a thicker root that has 5-8 fine, little but long hairs that spread out of it some have attached together but its not growing like BBA. Its a greeny/grey sort of colour. I wish I could take a photo but its to small for camera to pick up. Just wanna know how to get rid of it without harming shrimp

Jessica Blunt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
I actually have just figured out I'm am growing Hydra! Is there anyway to get rid of it. Even if I have to remove the shrimp in the process. I don't particularly want this in my tank.

Jessica Blunt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
And how do I do that without loosing any shrimp? Last time I done a large tank clean I killed all (or most of) my shrimp and I had to buy more. What's the best way to do this so this doesn't happen again because it was quiet sad to watch when done wrong. I have 3-6 day old baby shrimp that I really don't want to loose.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I was going to guess hydra by your description. only your hatchling shrimp are in any danger, the adults won't be phased at all. hydra appear due to overfeeding, plain and simple. cut back on what you feed your shrimp for a little bit and the hydra will dissipate. They are actually quite amazing to watch when you don't have to worry about baby shrimp in the tank. I used to have a colony of them in one of my 55's that I overfed all the time haha, I'd take single blood worms and feed the the larger hydra, amazing creatures to watch up close.

P.S. they arrive just like snails or other microorganisms into your systems, through plants.

Jessica Blunt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2015
So what your saying is the shrimp will eat them? How long do I have to not feed my shrimp for the Hyrda to disapear as I am already feeding them on a small amount of food.
I know the can hurt fish fry but what about baby shrimp? I was watching them last night and they are quiet creepy the way they move when things come near it. And are they poisonous to shrimp at all?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store