Have I overstocked my 220?

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
So the title says it all, have I overstocked my tank? its a 220gal that runs off of an Fx4 Fx6 Tidal 110 and has 2 large heaters my current stock list is:

Wild bumblebee oscar x1
Fire eel x1
Filament barb x9
Clown loach x10
Pimelodus Blochii x2
L025 x1
L0600 x1
Geophagus Tapajos x6

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
So the title says it all, have I overstocked my tank? its a 220gal that runs off of an Fx4 Fx6 Tidal 110 and has 2 large heaters my current stock list is:

Wild bumblebee oscar x1
Fire eel x1
Filament barb x9
Clown loach x10
Pimelodus Blochii x2
L025 x1
L0600 x1
Geophagus Tapajos x6
I definitely think your tank is overstocked. I would cut out the fish you don't favor the most. An Oscar could easily fill up a 220 on its own, check out FINWIN's Oscar Brick in her 225.

I would think some safer stocking options would be something like these:

1 Fire Eel, 9 Barbs, 10 Clown Loaches (this might be understocked, but the loaches will eventually get to around a foot each so it might be appropriately or potentially overstocked in the future).

6 Geos, 2 Plecos and 2 Pimelodus with some larger tetras for dithers.

1 Oscar and 1 Pleco

I know some of these sound a bit sparse, but some of these fish will get much larger (assuming your stock isn't completely full grown); especially the fire eel, I've seen those things get massive. If you must keep all of them, then get a LOT of new plants or get more filtration. Plecos and Oscars alone cause a ton of waste, the more filtration, the better, and also consistent water changes.

I hope this helps! :D

Reactions: CrunchyLobster123

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
I definitely think your tank is overstocked. I would cut out the fish you don't favor the most. An Oscar could easily fill up a 220 on its own, check out FINWIN's Oscar Brick in her 225.

I would think some safer stocking options would be something like these:

1 Fire Eel, 9 Barbs, 10 Clown Loaches (this might be understocked, but the loaches will eventually get to around a foot each so it might be appropriately or potentially overstocked in the future).

6 Geos, 2 Plecos and 2 Pimelodus with some larger tetras for dithers.

1 Oscar and 1 Pleco

I know some of these sound a bit sparse, but some of these fish will get much larger (assuming your stock isn't completely full grown); especially the fire eel, I've seen those things get massive. If you must keep all of them, then get a LOT of new plants or get more filtration. Plecos and Oscars alone cause a ton of waste, the more filtration, the better, and also consistent water changes.

I hope this helps! :D
Awesome thank you! thats kind of what i was thinking ill have to look deep at my stocking and try to downsize.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019

Wild bumblebee oscar x1
Fire eel x1
Filament barb x9
Clown loach x10
Pimelodus Blochii x2
L025 x1
L0600 x1
Geophagus Tapajos x6
Are they getting along and healthy and are you able to keep up with the maintenance without being overwhelmed? If yes, you’re fine. If/when the answer becomes something other than yes, then you’re over stocked

CrunchyLobster123

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2020
Alberta Canada
Are they getting along and healthy and are you able to keep up with the maintenance without being overwhelmed? If yes, you’re fine. If/when the answer becomes something other than yes, then you’re over stocked
Yup everyone gets along, only time i hvae problems is feeding the fire eel the geos sometimes take the food right from the tongs/fingers, and every once in a while the 2 pims get into it but no real damage is done. I do 50% water changes 1-2x a week i can also possibly add an extra eheim filter i have laying around aswell i also clean the 3 filters every 2-3 months.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Yup everyone gets along, only time i hvae problems is feeding the fire eel the geos sometimes take the food right from the tongs/fingers, and every once in a while the 2 pims get into it but no real damage is done. I do 50% water changes 1-2x a week i can also possibly add an extra eheim filter i have laying around aswell i also clean the 3 filters every 2-3 months.
I’m not big on testing constantly but you should test for nitrates right before and 2 days after a water change and then base your maintenance schedule on that. But it sounds like you’re fine. Just watch for fighting, stress etc…

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
IMO, Just looking at a stocking list, isn't a reasonable way to determine whether a tank is overstocked or not.
I agree with the others, that testing and looking at water parameters will tell you more than just a random list.

Common knowledge "might suggest", if your nitrate parameter level is at or over 10 ppm, by water change day, then the tank is either over stocked, or your water change regime and volume for that stocking level is inadequate.

If nitrate is under 10 ppm by water change day, some might suggest its not over stocked

My own M.C.L. (maximum contaminant level) for nitrate is 5 ppm, as an indicator that a water change is in order, so for some, its all a matter of opinion.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
IMO, Just looking at a stocking list, isn't a reasonable way to determine whether a tank is overstocked or not.
I agree with the others, that testing and looking at water parameters will tell you more than just a random list.

Common knowledge "might suggest", if your nitrate parameter level is at or over 10 ppm, by water change day, then the tank is either over stocked, or your water change regime and volume for that stocking level is inadequate.

If nitrate is under 10 ppm by water change day, some might suggest its not over stocked

My own M.C.L. (maximum contaminant level) for nitrate is 5 ppm, as an indicator that a water change is in order, so for some, its all a matter of opinion.
Excellent answer!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store