Heartbreak

Black_Diamond

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2017
Reno, NV
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make this post and share my experience that i just had the last few days.

I live in Reno, NV and on sat around 1pm we had a power outage that lasted until today which is the 2nd of Jan at 5pm. I have a 400 and a 200 gallon tank in which I have my 5 yr old male Black Diamond in the 400 and "had" a 2 yr old Snow Leopard in the 200 gallon which unfortunately did not survive.

I never thought I'd cry over losing a fish but this is horrible.

I just wanted to make a post reminding folks that like in areas with incremental weather that if you are serious about this hobby, you need a generator. I did not have one and was running my car for an hour every three hours for the last three days and this was not enough. My male made it as he was in a larger tank and older and probly overall just able to handle the shock better but my girl didnt make it.

I boiled hot water to try and keep the tank temps up, took out water to do tiny water changes but couldnt take much because i had no warm water to replace it with and was trying to keep the temp up. Covered the tanks with blankets and towels trying to keep the heat in. When I got power back today she was swimming around and seemed ok but I noticed her with her front lip up and I knew she wasnt going to make it. Only about 3 hrs later she passed. So horrible.

Get a generator if you have fish you care about. They will not survive a power outage. I didnt realize it would be so bad and the power company kept pushing out the expected time of return. Prepare for the worst.

Heres a pic of my beautiful Stella, RIP sweet girl.

9D051A52-2C23-46D9-ADAB-6DA532CA8A14.jpeg

D13038C8-FC4E-4559-A5FE-A16B97B0B1D7.jpeg

Berts46ers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2018
NSW
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to make this post and share my experience that i just had the last few days.

I live in Reno, NV and on sat around 1pm we had a power outage that lasted until today which is the 2nd of Jan at 5pm. I have a 400 and a 200 gallon tank in which I have my 5 yr old male Black Diamond in the 400 and "had" a 2 yr old Snow Leopard in the 200 gallon which unfortunately did not survive.

I just wanted to make a post reminding folks that like in areas with incremental weather that if you are serious about this hobby, you need a generator. I did not have one and was running my car for an hour every three hours for the last three days and this was not enough. My male made it as he was in a larger tank and older and probly overall just able to handle the shock better but my girl didnt make it.

I boiled hot water to try and keep the tank temps up, took out water to do tiny water changes but couldnt take much because i had no warm water to replace it with and was trying to keep the temp up. Covered the tanks with blankets and towels trying to keep the heat in. When I got power back today she was swimming around and seemed ok but I noticed her with her front lip up and I knew she wasnt going to make it. Only about 3 hrs later she passed. So horrible.

Get a generator if you have fish you care about. They will not survive a power outage. I didnt realize it would be so bad and the power company kept pushing out the expected time of return. Prepare for the worst.

View attachment 1510226

View attachment 1510227
🥺

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hey everyone,

View attachment 1510226

View attachment 1510227
Sorry to hear. She was beautiful.

Reactions: Black_Diamond
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store