Heavy Breathing?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
A couple days ago my Silver started breathing rather heavy. Now he's constantly opening and closing his mouth as if he's having issues breathing. I've scoured the internet trying to find a way to fix him up. I've added more aeration, done a water change, added in extra doses of dechlorinator, and have added in some pimafix to the tank in case it's some bacterial infection. But to no avail. Later in the week I'll probably be looking at buying some Prazi Pro in case it happens to be some kind of parasite causing this.

So have any of you gone through this with your arowana, and if so, what did you do to cure him? Any help would be appreciated.

D-RIG

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2015
San Diego , CA.
Make sure the temperature of the water is the same when doing your
water changes , if the water is to warm it can cause damage to the gills .

As mentioned above stop the medications and keep up the high aeration in the tank .

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I don't use carbon in my filtration. But alright I'll stop the medication and just keep the tank as aerated as possible. I'll do another water change as soon as I'm able as well.

I just freak out a bit with him since I've raised him since he had his yolk sack and don't want to lose him.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
If you want to cover bacterial infections as well as help with O2, use salt and methylene blue. The medication not only helps your fish breathe easier so to speak, it also is a great measure against fungal/bacterial infection if any are present. Of course try this if his condition doesn't change/worsens over the next several days.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
If you want to cover bacterial infections as well as help with O2, use salt and methylene blue. The medication not only helps your fish breathe easier so to speak, it also is a great measure against fungal/bacterial infection if any are present. Of course try this if his condition doesn't change/worsens over the next several days.
When it comes to medication, I'm a bit limited in what I can use since he shares his tank with a trio of rays. Can methylene blue be used with Rays present? Either way I'm going to hold back on any kind of medication unless I see his condition worsening.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
in that case I would wait a few days, see how he improves or worsens, and do a methylene blue dip bath instead. I believe ive heard its alright to use MB with rays, but naturally I wouldn't put healthy fish in possible harms way to save 1 other.

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
in that case I would wait a few days, see how he improves or worsens, and do a methylene blue dip bath instead. I believe ive heard its alright to use MB with rays, but naturally I wouldn't put healthy fish in possible harms way to save 1 other.
I may just do that then should his condition worsen. Hopefully he gets better soon so I won't have to do anything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store