Heavy Breathing?

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
I had the same thing with my jardini a few years back I came home found him on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. I just did 20-25% and make sure the temp at around 80-82f and I add in some stress coat and a fe extra air pump. Then later that night i saw him moving around again. Normally I wouldn't recommend 50% water change unless u need to because a huge amount of water change in one time can stress out your fish. If u can I would recommend 20-25% a day for about 3-4 days

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
u don't have to freak out so much arowanas are a strong fish unless they are under 6" then they will need some attention. But if they are big u don't have to worry much. I remember a guy told me "if u can't take care of an Arowana then u can't take care of other fish" I don't think it really mean that way. I just took it inside my head as Arowana are stronger and hardier than some of the other fish and easier to keep

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
A couple days ago my Silver started breathing rather heavy. Now he's constantly opening and closing his mouth as if he's having issues breathing. I've scoured the internet trying to find a way to fix him up. I've added more aeration, done a water change, added in extra doses of dechlorinator, and have added in some pimafix to the tank in case it's some bacterial infection. But to no avail. Later in the week I'll probably be looking at buying some Prazi Pro in case it happens to be some kind of parasite causing this.

So have any of you gone through this with your arowana, and if so, what did you do to cure him? Any help would be appreciated.
Any variation in your water PH ?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
I had the same thing with my jardini a few years back I came home found him on the bottom of the tank breathing heavily. I just did 20-25% and make sure the temp at around 80-82f and I add in some stress coat and a fe extra air pump. Then later that night i saw him moving around again. Normally I wouldn't recommend 50% water change unless u need to because a huge amount of water change in one time can stress out your fish. If u can I would recommend 20-25% a day for about 3-4 days
Well I've been doing about 25% water changes to see if it helps. As of yet nothing. Ive always kept the temperature at about 80 and that's where it's sitting at now.

KIdfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2014
Cali
is he still eating or is he just sitting there? do u mind sharing a new close up picture? it might help. are there any tank mate in there?

SMSChris

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2014
Earth
is he still eating or is he just sitting there? do u mind sharing a new close up picture? it might help. are there any tank mate in there?
That's the only picture I was able to get of him since he freaks out anytime he sees my phone. He's still swimming normally and still eats, although his appetite is significantly less than what it used to be. His breathing has improved slightly as well, although it's still not back to normal.

20151004_084250_003.jpg

Cichlasomniac

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 14, 2014
Woodstock, Ontario,Canada
I don't use carbon in my filtration. But alright I'll stop the medication and just keep the tank as aerated as possible. I'll do another water change as soon as I'm able as well.

I just freak out a bit with him since I've raised him since he had his yolk sack and don't want to lose him.
Nitrate too high, do a water change

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store