Hello Fryers! New Red Platy preg.?

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
Alistriwen;1391856; said:
Im just curious, are you saying you don't do any water changes at all? I can understand how it works in a natural environment, but how do you get rid of all the waste? I would imagine after a time it would become a layer of filth you'd have to do something with? I'd love to set up tanks like this if I could.. the thought of a self sustaining, or even nearly self sustaining tank is orgasmic.
No, I do water changes regularly. I'm not sure but maybe I worded something wrong somewhere. I do water changes, weekly, not huge but I pretty much keep my gravel really clean, wash the dual bio and change the filters, I often cut open and dump out the charcoal depending on the species of fish in my tank, some don't do well with carbon, so I run it with and without. I clean the external fluval about every 2 mos when using the leaves for tanin. I get everything that needs cleaning clean, but keep the good bacteria alive and only remove the nastier.

My fish are really active and happy. If the dive down to rub on stuff or breathe heavier, I do a 10-15g water change and add a bit more salt and they are all happy again. The tanin is really good for their skin/slime. They love to sit on the bubble makers!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store