HELP ! - Fly River Turtle forelimb injury

Shen Su

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Hello,

My FRT (Fly River Turtle) has an injured forelimb. I'm not sure of cause, but he is seriously having trouble swimming and as a result hasn't been able to eat for the last three days. He usually eats floating foods, fruits, and veggies from the surface but doesn't have the energy to do so with his injured forelimb.

He's usually very active and friendly but recently just floats on his side and only rises to capture a breath of air every 5 - 10 minutes. And it's obviously very difficult for him as he awkwardly sinks back down to the bottom.

He lives by himself in regularly cleaned, aerated, filtered water at 30 degrees C. He looks very healthy on all other accounts. But I'm very worried that if he doesn't eat soon he'll be in big trouble...

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

Shen Su

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
I can't help you with the injury, but if he only eats floating foods can you lower the water level? Or set up a different tank with shallower water?

That's a pretty good idea, Troy. I might try lowering his water level in his main tank. That should also make it easier for him to reach the surface for air.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Oddball Oddball Aquanero Aquanero Frank Castle Frank Castle

I'd bet it's a air bubble he can't pass. Try getting some peas in him and see if that does anything.

What are params? Any salt added?

Shen Su

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
An air bubble, really? I'll see if I can't get him to eat some peas. How would you suggest "force" feeding him? I was thinking of moving him into a bucket with enough water to cover his body and see I can give him some food. Though I imagine he'll be so frightened that he be very willing to eat...

He's a bit big for his tank now. It's only 250 L. I think I feed him too much...

I add a few tablespoons of salt each time I clean his tank (every 2 weeks). I remove about 30% of his water with each cleaning, then add salt and some other detoxifying liquids.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
if peas don't work, try using Epsom salts too. If he refuses to eat it'd be much easier to forcefeed a syringe full of dissolved Epsom salts than it would peas.

Shen Su

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Okay, great suggestions!

Thank you everyone for the immediate responses. Though I'm open to any other feedback, I already feel much more equipped to at least do something at this point. And the response rate and quality has been far better than other forums I've tried.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
keep us updated, as TheKid suggested, it looks more like a gas bubble issue that an injured flipper, being that he's having issues staying upright.

Shen Su

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2016
Ok,

Well, he wouldn't eat any peas or apple bits, so I tried using a syringe with a little epsom salt and water. His jaw is really strong and he wasn't wiling to open, but I definitely got some in from the side of his mouth. He wasn't too happy with it, but I'm hoping it helps any gas bubbles pass through. It's after midnight so I'll have to wait until the morning to see how he's doing.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Oddball Oddball Aquanero Aquanero Frank Castle Frank Castle

I'd bet it's a air bubble he can't pass. Try getting some peas in him and see if that does anything.

What are params? Any salt added?
keep us updated, as TheKid suggested, it looks more like a gas bubble issue that an injured flipper, being that he's having issues staying upright.
Ok,

Well, he wouldn't eat any peas or apple bits, so I tried using a syringe with a little epsom salt and water. His jaw is really strong and he wasn't wiling to open, but I definitely got some in from the side of his mouth. He wasn't too happy with it, but I'm hoping it helps any gas bubbles pass through. It's after midnight so I'll have to wait until the morning to see how he's doing.
it seems like these guys covered it, aside from recommending a trip to the Veterinarian, the only thing i can really add is that i SEE no physical injury on him, and if you do indeed think it is a flipper injury it would be a pulled/strained/torn muscle so again, the idea of moving him to a smaller enclosure w/ low water levels to limit his movement and allow the muscles to heal and recover would be a great idea (just enough water to cover him).....if it was me, for such a rare and hard to acquire species,, i would take him to the Vet.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store