Help from the fishemen here

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Anyone here know how to increase the scent for saltwater baits? im thinking of brining or some way of prepping bunker chunks.

As people know Bunker heads and mid sections are the prime pieces of bait for stripers and other fish, but the end of the fish such the back end and tail is pretty much useless as there is no organs to bleed through. Anyone familiar with brining and scenting baits? Every time i fish out with bunker the back half always have little to no results and are pretty much wasted as i throw it into the water after it starts to turn pale.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I would maybe try some adding some manhaden lunker sauce to it and see if that makes a difference. It's a gel so it'll stay on there longer and give a decent scent.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Seachem garlic extreme

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
i was thinking that too. i was thinking of just taking the leftover bunker and freezing it in garlic powder. i saw that gell but i didnt see good results from it for alot of people

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I use the lunker sauce in Tampa and it makes a difference for me for sure.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think obtain the freshest, preferably live bunker and then cut into to pieces and fish. The scent created by a freshly sliced, living bunker is IMO the most effective bait. Maybe use frozen/older bunker for creating chum bags etc.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Even fresh bunker has its limits. You can chunk the head and the mid sections with its organs. But without the organs and scent of blood the bunker tail end is practically useless... I'm going to try freezing them in garlic powder next week when I go out again. I think it might make a good attractant. I'd rather do this experiment than waste the second half of the bunker.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Even fresh bunker has its limits. You can chunk the head and the mid sections with its organs. But without the organs and scent of blood the bunker tail end is practically useless... I'm going to try freezing them in garlic powder next week when I go out again. I think it might make a good attractant. I'd rather do this experiment than waste the second half of the bunker.
don't waste your time w/ garlic powder, use real minced/paste garlic, add some vanilla extract, and as Wailua Boy Wailua Boy has stated before, Sardine Oil, which I imagine can be subbed with Anchovie or Salmon or Herring oil or any other canned fish oil. American Eel entrails or chopped will get the Striper's tastebuds active too.....

and one of my personal favorites, CLAM JUICE. That's right, make 'em a cocktail....just not QUITE a whole Bloody Mary ;)

marinate your bunker tails in all that stuff, for a day before freezing, IDK WHAT could resist

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
don't waste your time w/ garlic powder, use real minced/paste garlic, add some vanilla extract, and as Wailua Boy Wailua Boy has stated before, Sardine Oil, which I imagine can be subbed with Anchovie or Salmon or Herring oil or any other canned fish oil. American Eel entrails or chopped will get the Striper's tastebuds active too.....

and one of my personal favorites, CLAM JUICE. That's right, make 'em a cocktail....just not QUITE a whole Bloody Mary ;)

marinate your bunker tails in all that stuff, for a day before freezing, IDK WHAT could resist
:0 im gonna try this! ive been fishing for blackfish recently but sparingly i'll use bunker for stripers. this sounds awesome! but why vanilla extract?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store