Help identifying

Pycnotic

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
Need help identifying this fish, the guy says it's an electric blue jack dempsey but I'm not so sure and want a second opinion, thanks in advance.
image.jpeg

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Either Hericthys Carpitis (my guess) or Hericthys Cyanogattous (or quite possibly a hybrid)

Known as Green Texas and Texas, repectively. Most found in LFS are hybrids.

Cool fish. Meaner than a JD IME. I have scars from my 5" that happened a long time ago

LogiBear

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2015
Minnesota
Ps my spelling could be off, but should be close enough for google results. Just search "Texas Cichlid" and youll find all the info you need. Mean, big, and they eat a lot lol. Pretty standard cichlid. Only kind to come from NA. They also do better in cooler water, and look awesome when breeding.

Reactions: vinod_uthaiah

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with the others.
Just goes to show most LFSs don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.
below a male "location Chairel" I had just starting spawning colors

Reactions: ehh

Pycnotic

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
Thanks everyone, another question anyone had any issues keeping these with a green terror and jack dempsey?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Given the appropriate tank size they could get along but appropriate tank size for all 3 is pretty large if kept together.

Tsdamian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2016
Wollongong Nsw
I've had a male Texas, male terror and male Jack together in a 4ft and they've gotten along, sold the Texas and terror now but they got along for 6 months fine, just need make a few caves so they can establish their own territories

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store