Help identifying

Pycnotic

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2016
Thanks guys decided to pass, I had the room but would prefer to add a smaller fish to the tank

Reactions: Buphy

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Heritchthys carpintis.
Agree with the others.
Just goes to show most LFSs don't know their arse from a hole in the ground.
below a male "location Chairel" I had just starting spawning colors
so wait.....the ones I have only have tiny little spots - I was under the impression the PEARL-SCALED name came from the tiny little white pearl-looking marks.....

is this completely ass-backwards? I don't get it. All this time I thought I had carpintis, but I really have TRUE TEXAS???

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Yes that's true Frank, larger spots are usually carpintus.
Although for years both species have been interbred in aquariums (mostly because people didn't realize the difference between the half dozen or so species of Herichthys (much like what happened to Paratilapia)) so there is an aquarium strain that pervades LFSs, or chain stores, those stores that don't order from trusted people Rapps, or Gage, etc I find to be suspect.
I've been in LFSs that can't tell the difference between a fire mouth and a JD, so telling Herichthys apart would be a gargantuan leap for most.
And when young is very hard to tell them apart.

Above a young H tamasopoensus
below carpintus "Chairel"

or even telling a species apart when in different stages of life can be interesting
male carpintus one day

same male another day

Reactions: Frank Castle

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
This is a h. Cyano I had. Spots are really small, much smaller than any of the caprintis variations. H. Tamasopoensus is very similar IMO.

image.jpg

Reactions: Frank Castle
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store