help me make my tank pop

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
With Oscars I think you're going to have to keep the glass lids because they tend to jump. As far as having something with a raised look, you'd probably want to look at something like (not specificly) a marineland led setup. There are plenty of brands to choose from, just giving you an idea, most of the led setups you find online end up being about and inch or so above the tank.

Another idea that tends to give the tank a finished look is a canopy. Other than that; clean, natural decorations are the way to go. Take your time and find yourself a nice piece of driftwood and some rocks. With Oscars you're in the same boat as I am when it comes to plants; they'll probably tear up real ones. But if you look around you can always find some nice, real looking fake plants.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
The blue lights are, but the whites are just normal t5's

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
With an Oscar, I believe they uproot plants and move decor/sand a lot. It might be hard to get plants in there but maybe paint the exterior of the tank and add Manzanita Driftwood. I like the Manzanita over Malaysian Driftwood. It gives more of a theme compared to a blotch of brown wood (IMO).

Maybe add some Pothos (<-- Click) to the top of the tank to give you a roots theme (he might tear them up but the plants are like 5.00)? These can be found at your local Home Depot/ Lowes for fairly cheap!

The lid is a keeper unless you like to gamble on prize fish.

Ive read Oscars play with floating Ping Pong balls so maybe a floating toy too Lol.

Your tank has so much potential:headbang2
G/L

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
some miner progress. I added a cheap blue background, adjusted the live rock configuration(the fish like this better) the sand was a bit stirred up which is why the water looks cloudy. I should be receiving some smallish(2-3") polished black stones today. I will scatter those on the white sand substrate. I also ordered a 16" piece of driftwood. It is pretty light in color. I will keep posting picks and taking suggestions. I still think the LED low profile hood will look good and I am considering painting the back black.

Its still an almost empty canvas, but I am starting to get a vision in my mind.

tank2.jpg

tank2.jpg

Tworottz72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2011
Milford, ohio
You did say Oscar"s", as in two? Well then this is just practice for the larger tank you will need to keep two adult O's.

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
two you have tried to troll this thread and another thread of mine about the oscars...the fish are 3 inches long let it go.

Got my water crystal clear at this point, took a much better pic of it tonight, but there is no real changes in the scape so i will wait a day or two and post another pic when I have progress. Anyone have any lighting suggestions. I mean it will be LEDs but I am wondering about different hood types. Can someone post pics if they are proud of their lighting set up?

thanks again MFKers

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Sorry to pile on but in four or five months those oscars will be at least eight inches and they will keep on growing, just sayin

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
it's not really cool to get upset at people for being concerned about your animals. you are going to need a bigger tank.

jopheso

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2012
south louisiana
actually I will be getting a bigger tank, which is something that I explained to tworotz in a previous post and here he is again with multiple comments in this thread regarding the oscars. The truth is I dont need to explain my future plans for my pets. if you are really concerned about the oscars and their well being, then why arent you concerned about the guppies they are eating? What makes the comfort of the oscars more important than the feeder fish or crawfish fry they are eating? What about someone with a dog that doesnt have a fenced in backyard? Do you go around worrying about how often that dog is being walked?

I will handle my pets as I see fit. thank you

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store