Help! My gars belly is all red and he’s keeping his mouth open

Joseph1999

Feeder Fish
Oct 31, 2019
I’ve had this far for about 5 months now he’s been eating like a champ shrimp and feeder fish then all of a sudden about a week ago he stopped eating. His belly got these red lines and he’s keeping his mouth open all the time. I’m worried I might loose him if he doesn’t start eating soon. Can anybody tell me what might be going on. I moved him to this smaller tank for treatment but I don’t really know what to even treat him for.

IMG_2146.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

IMG_2143.jpeg

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I’ve had this far for about 5 months now he’s been eating like a champ shrimp and feeder fish then all of a sudden about a week ago he stopped eating. His belly got these red lines and he’s keeping his mouth open all the time. I’m worried I might loose him if he doesn’t start eating soon. Can anybody tell me what might be going on. I moved him to this smaller tank for treatment but I don’t really know what to even treat him for.

View attachment 1531820

View attachment 1531821

View attachment 1531822
If there are red blood lines across the belly I would suspect septicemia. Don’t worry about it not eating, the gar can probably go a month without food.

Reactions: tlindsey

Joseph1999

Feeder Fish
Oct 31, 2019
If there are red blood lines across the belly I would suspect septicemia. Don’t worry about it not eating, the gar can probably go a month without food.
Yes its red blood lines runs right between the scales but it’s like it flares up and goes away shortly after. I turned the tank heater down and that seemed to help with the flare ups.

Joseph1999

Feeder Fish
Oct 31, 2019
I looked up septicemia and that could very well be it because it spreads to the fins sometimes also. I’ve only seen it on the bottom of the fish so far. I read it is untreatable but is there anything you would recommend to help with it.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I looked up septicemia and that could very well be it because it spreads to the fins sometimes also. I’ve only seen it on the bottom of the fish so far. I read it is untreatable but is there anything you would recommend to help with it.
I would add Epsom salt, 1tbsp per 5 gallons. Others may know how to treat better. kno4te kno4te tlindsey tlindsey

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Increase water changes and keep nitrates below 20ppm. Avoid any more live food. I’d add some epsom salt 1-3 tbsp per 5g, levamisole and maracyn2 if you can get it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store