Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

HELP PLEASE: 7" Clown Loach laying on side, breathing but not moving!

Discussion in 'Loaches' started by 888fish, Dec 15, 2010.

1. 888fish

888fish MFK Members

Yesterday at 10:15 PM
      Came home to my 7" Clown Loach lying on its side, breathing, slight twitching of caudal fin. NOT Swimming, like its paralyzed!

Temp: 80 degrees
      SLIGHT ick issue with Datnoids, not affecting loaches so tank has about 1 TSP salt per 5 gallons of water for 6 days now.
      Changed 60% of water last night, and placed in new salt to maintain concentration.

Remaining 5 large loaches seem just fine right now, as well as other fish. ICK seems to be clearing up to almost none.

The 7" loach looks healthy and fat, no ICK spots, but severe state of paralysis.
      I am currently bumping the temp to 82 degrees.
      Should I place it in a hospital tank? Did it crash itself into the tank and into a state of paralysis?

2. Sab_Fan

Sab_Fan MFK Members

Apr 12, 2015
      clown loaches are well known for laying on their sides in tanks, not moving ... is this what is going on, or is it more serious than that?

3. Kanta

Kanta MFK Members

Apr 1, 2015
      My loaches all do it. Its how they chill out. Don't worry. Freaked my out my first time. I tapped the tank and he perked up and looked at me like wtf man? Lol its funny.

4. Laticauda

Laticauda MFK Members

Dec 16, 2011
      Even my little yoyo loaches do this. Freaks you out at first! The biggest one, stays laying on the filter intake (as if he were a dead fish stuck to the intake) but I think he's just lazy, and doesn't want to hold himself afloat.

5. aclockworkorange

aclockworkorange MFK Members

Oct 27, 2014
      If he isnt just being a silly loach, try moving him to a tank without salt and see if that helps.

6. Laticauda

Laticauda MFK Members

Dec 16, 2011
      Oh, that's another thing. Clowns are sensitive to salt, and also salt reduces the amount of available oxygen in the water, so keep that in mind as well when using salt. I always add a powerhead or air stone when treating with salt, to increase the surface of the water that comes in contact with the air.

7. aclockworkorange

aclockworkorange MFK Members

Oct 27, 2014
      Yes... I've noticed with tanks I've treated with salt in the past my loaches have become really inactive. That's one of the reasons I usually don't treat anything with salt anymore. If you think it's an oxygen issue, try a methylene blue dip before you switch him in to a tank without salt.

8. bigbadfish711

bigbadfish711 MFK Members

Apr 21, 2014
      [YT]udMK76w7w6A[/YT]

Is this what he is doing. It is totaly normal. They are just cute little guys with great personalities.

9. Chromobotia

Chromobotia MFK Members

Oct 11, 2013
      Looks like normal behavior to me.

10. plecoking2010

plecoking2010 MFK Members

33 minutes ago
      that is how they usually chill out or sleep