Help Sex a texas cichlid?

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Ok cool, thank you very much for answering all these questions.
For optimal growth (fast, but not unhealthily fast) what would be the best diet? Right now I've just moved him from flakes to pellets, but are their any other foods I he should eat?

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
I feed my fish new life spectrum nothing else manufactured. My lovely lady also makes an awesome home made food for them. Shrimp tilapia, spinach and cooked peas. Spirulina and xanthian sp? Helps oranges and reds. Bind it all with egg yolk in a food processor and freeze it in thin layers. We just break off a chunk and toss it in. Thaws quickly

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
OK, I've heard of new life spectrum, which sounds pretty good.
But feeding them frozen fish and vegetables is ok? because that sounds pretty cool, and a good way to make sure you know what your fish are eating, where you don't always know with processed foods.
Can I just ask what was wrong with hikari's products after investigating them, because I have heard such good reviews on their foods.

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
The idea of foods that specifically cause nuchal hump growth and modify color with a list of ingredients I can barely pronounce just doesn't sit right with me. Keep it simple and as natural as possible.

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Oh, I'm not a big fan of specifically growing the head bumps either. Honestly, I think it just looks bad when it's un-natural, like on some flowerhorns. Also, with the ingredients, I can completely agree. I was always told "if you can't pronounce it, it's probably not too good for you" :p
Anyways, thank's for the help, I'm happy I learned this because I was almost sold on some of their products.

Just curious, but what are some of the fish you keep?

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
I have jags, red tiger motguense , red devils and the like, Oscars, green terror, black ghost knife, flower horn baby, vieja synspillum, jack dempsey, Mayan cichlid, catfish, various plecos, silver dollars and breeder guppies, barbs and tetras. Of course not all in the same tank haha. I'm up to 6 aquariums and three ponds. Smallest is a couple 40b up to 180 gallon. I'm also currently building a 270 gallon plywood tank (when I'm not working 75-90 hours a week)

Bassy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2015
Omg thats awesome!!!
I always admired the red devil, and it might be my next tank, as their personality is just awesome.
anyways, you have such an amazing collection!
What do you plan on keeping in the 270 when it's finished?

Tyler_Wentworth_150

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2015
Humboldt county
Well that a tough question, mostly likely my red devil/midas/midevil and his buddy the zaliosus. Theyre cousins in the amphilophus genus and have been together since being an inch. The scuffle occasionally, but no real damage as they're small and evenly matched. Mostly they get along and are super awesome wet pets. The know my work clothes and rush the glass when they see me walk in the room. We will see how they get along once they gain some real size... but with the tank I'm building Ill have a slide in divider ready to go at all times. The Texas cichlids I have are in separate tanks and are ill tempered little buggers. More bark than bite so far at least

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store