Help! Sick Sting Ray

nimmerbm05

Feeder Fish
Jan 15, 2016
I have a one year old sting ray who has recently been acting weird. He's been doing great until about 2 weeks ago. He is a smooth river back sting ray. We do 50% water changes at least once a week, if not twice. We have two C5-30 filters running on his tank and he has no tank mates. We noticed he had a death look to him, eyes were black and he was swimming in very odd circles in the tank, not like himself. We did some emergency water changes and he made it through that. about two days after that he stopped eating and hasn't been eating since. Now he has started swimming erratically around the tank, bumping in the sides of the tank and the top lid. Water parameters are good, but not sure why he isn't eating and swimming so erratically. I did notice this morning his poop was green, almost looked like sea weed. Thanks for any help.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ cant help you out, but try also placing a thread under the Sting Ray subforum under "Bottom Dwellers"

You may find more ray keeprers to help you, since that section seems quite active...

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Do you test your water parameters, if so what were/are they? If not I'd go to your local fish store to buy an Api master test kit so that we can have a base line to work off of. What size tank is he in, and have you had him for a year or did you recently acquire him? Not sure what's going on with him but these questions will help us help you.

Reactions: keepinfish

reddead38

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2013
USA
spotfin spotfin UnstoppableJayD UnstoppableJayD keepinfish keepinfish Tig Phish Tig Phish vamptrev vamptrev KNH KNH MEDHBSI MEDHBSI vincentwugwg vincentwugwg

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
Yea I'd like to see water parameters too. Sounds like ammonia spike possibly. I've seen rays act crazy if rotting food or something else causing bad water.
Got a picture of him?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
For some reason i think the OP has left and isn't coming back...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store