Help with shifting fishes from old tank to new

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Haha good enjoy man. So with the already cycled filters you just move them to the new tank when you move the fish. Easy peasy

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Cant you just move your existing filters onto tht e new tank ? If your existing filters have been up and running for some time and are already cycled your good to go.

Frank Castle Frank Castle im pretty sure that @Ishnsheik meant not to add fish day 1 with uncycled new filters. Which we all agree isnt the way to go lol
Why? If your filters have been running for months, or even years and you kept everything the same from gravel/décor to filters and tank-water - why can't you add the fish right away.

What is actually different except the size of the tank?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Why? If your filters have been running for months, or even years and you kept everything the same from gravel/décor to filters and tank-water - why can't you add the fish right away.

What is actually different except the size of the tank?
Frank we are saying if the filters were uncycled that you cannot add fish.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
Really? I just use the old stuff, water and everything....if I move from a 30 gallon to a 60 gallon, I use the old tank water and 30 gallons of fresh dechlorinated water, same filters, gravel, décor, etc. Why not, everything is already cycled....why NOT use your already cultivated natural bacteria? I've done it dozens of times and never had any issues besides the typical "I'm not eating for a week cuz you moved me 3 feet away to a bigger tank"......IMO, it's just the equivalent of a 50% water change with a little stress from moving around. No?

Even new tanks, I pinch bioloads all the time....24 hours, no nitrate or ammonia spikes, stable water quality, good 2 go........

....then again CA/SA-Cichlids are pretty bullet-proof. Thoughts?

Am I just lucky or is it just because my fish just don't care as long as they eat and have caves?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Just transfer everything to something else (totes or whatever) and setup your tank, and then transfer everything to your new tank. Old water, gravel, etc. Keep your pumps going so the bacteria stay oxygenated. If u kept them in new totes, that would be no different then a new tank. Besides, u already have seasoned water, gravel, and filters either way.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I wouldnt add the older water.. just be transfering nitrates. I just moved and re did 2 of the tanks in the process after tearing them down. As long as op has established bb in his filter media he'll be fine.

I set my tanks up adter the move with the existing filters only. Except for a couple of pieces of dw everything else was new (sand, water decor ect) no issues

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
So, bad news. I cleaned up the tank yesterday. Horrid time trying to clear the salt stains. Anyway, one side of the tank has what seems to be lot of bubbles inside the sealant. So a bit apprehensive to take it to the flat.

Thinking of just buying a new setup. Not much of a cost difference and i save on the hassle of building a stand and top.

The LFS said he's got a couple of 4 footers. Going there today to check it out.

Also thanks for all the tips. Makes life easier :)

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
Went over to the LFS and found out that all the 4feet tanks he had were 30" High. Which i guess is pushing it. Would be a pain for any maintenance.

He had a couple of 5footers which kind of has me confused a bit.

Tank1: 60"L x 15"W x 26"H
Tank2: 60"L x 22"W x 16"H

I'm slightly partial to the second tank because of the width but will that 16"H look odd in a 5feet long tank?

demonknight

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2007
India
The other tank is: 50"L x 18"W x 30"H

This is the cheapest by at least $120. Would be perfect for the tank space in my flat but that 30"H is what is scaring me.

How has your experience been with tall tanks?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
If your tank is still up and running and cycled. Just transfer everything over to new tank. I like to also use some of the old water too. Been doing that for a long time and no losses.
This.

What you have to be careful of, is if you then suddenly add more tank inhabitants or make some drastic change to your filtration; casue then you're adding dangerous risks to the bacteria. I strongly suspect you'll be absolutely fine shifting your stock and everything across; just don't be tempted to add new fish in the first week or two

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store